Cleaning Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Elven, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hi all.

My 2.4GHZ MacBook is beginning to look like it could use a good clean, the keys have a few months worth of use on them :p, what is a good cleaner to use on the keyboard to bring it back to good as new? also anything especially amazing for the screen? while mine is fairly clean due to a OCD attitude to people touching it, I feel it could use a clean.

2. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I clean my White MacBook every 2-3 weeks. Nothing fancy. I use a damp cloth that I rinsed in hot water before to rub of all the stains etc. And then I use a soft towel. Works fine for the plastic and the screen. You just have to make sure that the cloth is only damp and that the towel is so soft. So that it leaves no scratch marks on the screen.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I clean my notebooks with an ordinary tissue, nothing fancy. I wet it a bit sometimes, never had any problems with it.

jöö endlich mal jemand aus dem deutschsprachigen raum ^^
    Wo issn offenbach gleich wieder? =P

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

5. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Gleich neben dem wunderschönen Frankfurt am Main. Hätte nicht gedacht hier Mal Deutsch zu lesen. :)

6. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I work at best buy and we sell monster screen cleaner. I use it on all of the macs at the store to clean and I use it at home. its amazing. there is so much grease build up on the store demos and it takes everything off. only thing is that is $20

7. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Trust me 100% these work GREAT, they are fairly cheap and work magic on the wihte macbooks, I have a 2.4 white as well that as used very often, i clean it about once a week, just drain the "eraser" thoroughly leaving it barley damp and clean your keys and the border around the screen. DO NOT wipe the outside casing of the macbook that glossy feel will get scratched. Keep it to the keys and the inside and youll love it!! me and about 3 or 4 of my friends use them and love it..

...lol sorry for sounding like im advertising for the magic erasers.. they just work that well for me you can search these forums and see that many other users recommended them

[​IMG]

8. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I use iKlear spray on screen and keyboard, and wipe/polish if off with a microfibre cloth (poundland are a good source for cloths!)

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

All great replies, I clean mine with monster clean (on the side of the bottle it says "ionized water"!).
    I would strongly object to any chemicals on the plastic, no matter what they say. Always use water, if you can filtered would be better but if you are rich buy the monster clean :)
    I had 2 bottles and just refill it with filtered water.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I dunk my computer in Draino everyday; dissolves some of the plastic off.

I usually clean it up with rubbing alcohol.

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

+1 for Magic Erasers, just don't use it on the outside or on the screen.

12. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

yeah if the magic erasers dont work i dunk mine in gasoline; I usually clean it up with a few lit matches..:p

but as i posted earlier.. YES for magic eraser just not on the outside, screen or iSight... remember iSight! i almost rubbed over mine before and im sure it will scratch the lens