cleaning alu uni MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soulreaper, Jan 19, 2010.

1. soulreaper macrumors newbie

soulreaper

hey guys, i wanna ask something...
    it's been 4 months since i've bought my MBP
    i was just wondering if i wanna do some cleaning inside the MBP, can i just remove the cover and the drives inside to do the cleaning??
    or is there any other better way to do so??
    mainly i wanna clean those dust that are stuck underneath the keyboard...

thx

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you could take apart your computer to clean it but you risk damaging some of the internal components. maybe take a look at THIS before you begin

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Throw it in the washing machine, that way you'll get it clean and the white will be even brighter. Because we are talking about a sensitive piece of equipment, make sure you put the washing machine on the delicate cycle.
    :p

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If it's only been four months, in my opinion, the gains realized from opening up the case will be marginal. Maybe after a year or so.

At four months the standard should apply but little else. An iKlear rinse on the body and the display w/ microfiber. An onyx run. And clean out the trash can ;) good 2 go.I do that routine once a week. Trash gets taken out daily as I'm approaching 7 TB worth of data and I manage to get duplicates of alot of stuff.

5. Winters macrumors member

I've already heard about people putting their macbook in the fridge to cool them so I'm sure we can find someone who has done this as well ;)

6. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I've owned my MBP for 6 months and I recently opened it to install a second HDD... The difference between when I got it and upgraded my HDD the first week, and now are that there were only a little dust near the fan. But it was nothing compared to my old desktop that was filled with ton of dust and garbage...

The cleaning you can do internally is just open it and remove the dust... that's it.

7. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

Get a can of dust off compressed air, it has a long skinny stem so you can direct the stream of air in small hard to reach areas. Simplest cleanest not liquid solution in my opinion. It blasts all the dust off everything in my Mac Pro.

8. soulreaper thread starter macrumors newbie

soulreaper

9. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Ehhhh, that sounds fairly risky. Also, you'll void the warranty if you remove all the components. However, iKlear works great for cleaning the exterior.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple: