Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Yes, idiot's day out at my place. In a thoughtless anti-virus crusade I sprayed my keyboard with Dettol surface cleanser. Stopped working of course. Having read of keyboards coming back to life in the dish washer I put the keyboard under the hot water tap for a good 5 minutes then left it on a radiator. The result was 4 keys working. Not good.

Ideas?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yes, idiot's day out at my place. In a thoughtless anti-virus crusade I sprayed my keyboard with Dettol surface cleanser. Stopped working of course. Having read of keyboards coming back to life in the dish washer I put the keyboard under the hot water tap for a good 5 minutes then left it on a radiator. The result was 4 keys working. Not good.

Ideas?
Putting it under the tap was not a good idea. I assume this was a Bluetooth keyboard? (Magic keyboard?). If so, it has a lot more electronics than typical keyboards from the “back in my day you put them in a dishwasher” days.

At this point you’ve probably shorted stuff out, assuming that it is now dry on the inside. There’s always a chance that it’s still wet, in which case stick it in a bag of uncooked rice for 24 hours and see if that helps. (you may need to spray compressed air afterward to remove any rice particles that get in the keys, but at this point you can’t exactly make things any worse).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Ideas?
My experience is that Apple keyboards are extremely intolerant of getting wet and there's no easy way to get them apart. At this point, you'll probably be needing to buy a new one.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
It's a generic wired aluminium keyboard. What I don't know is whether some of the electronics have shorted out. Not sure how, since there shouldn't be any current present unless connected. But i may have connected the keyboard while parts were still wet.

I have in fact bought another but it would be good to know if this can be salvaged.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's a generic wired aluminium keyboard. What I don't know is whether some of the electronics have shorted out. Not sure how, since there shouldn't be any current present unless connected. But i may have connected the keyboard while parts were still wet.

I have in fact bought another but it would be good to know if this can be salvaged.
There's virtually no chance it will ever return to normal functionality. I have left some of these for weeks after they got wet and they'll never start working again.

gvmelbrty

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
1584784686869.png

I haven't killed a mac keyboard since I started using a silicone keyboard cover/skin. Check ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.