Cleaning Aluminum iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmee, Apr 11, 2009.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I've tried cleaning my Aluminum iMac with water, Windex and Pledge, but no matter what I use, or how much I clean there are always annoying streaks.

Now, I want to know how to clean it without these nasty streaks, and I know I could have searched the forum to find this out, but is it safe to even clean it?

One night while cleaning with Windex and paper tower I noticed at the top of the screen behind the glass, there was a buildup of Windex. Terrified, I booted up the machine and ran it for several minutes and the buildup was gone, and is not noticeable at all. I was then Google searching iMac screen cleaning, and I discovered that it can be risky to clean the screen. The worst that's happened to my iMac besides the windex buildup behind the glass was when after I was cleaning the glass, there was a tiny tiny spec within the glass, that is only noticeable whilst looking at the screen from some angles.

Now I'm too scared to clean my iMac, because I don't know a safe or smart way how to do it:p

2. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

on the aluminum imac, the screen is held in with magnets. slip a razor very carefully in between the black border and the aluminum and pry it off. Have done it plenty of times. I recommend screen cleaning wipes instead of windex, although the screen is glass so it might not matter. Hope i helped:rolleyes:

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Use optics cleaner or a product like I clear for the screen. I would never use things like Windex on a computer. Optics cleaner and a micro-fiber cloth.

4. Shadow2k macrumors member

I use a moist (water, no chemicals) micro fiber cloth to clean my computer screens.

5. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I use glass Polish to clean the screen then a dry spectacle cleaning cloth to remove any streaks later on.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. TheScavenger macrumors regular

Apple recommends iKlear to their techs for cleaning the iMac glass.

8. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I'm not brave enough to take the glass off :p. But thanks everyone for the tips. I'm going to ditch the Windex, and try some iKlear, Glass polish and micro-fiber cloth:).