Cleaning Blackbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tennismanclay, Jul 7, 2007.

1. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Hi,

I recently purchased a top of the line Blackbook and love it so far, except for the fact of how dirty it gets. The keyboard (dirt smudges and stuff from other people prolly, not anything huge but) and of course the screen has plenty of fingerprints.

So i was just wondering if anybody has a special cleaning solution to cleaning the macbooks outer case and screen, and maybe some instrustions as far as turning the comuter off and whatnot.

Thx guys

2. chatoyer macrumors regular

For cleaning everything but the screen, I generally just use whatever is going at my local electronics shop. So, right now I've got a cannister of 3M Electronic Equipment Wipes, and they work fine.

For the screen, I've only ever used something called Laptop Clene wipes by AF (www.af-net.com) on my laptop screens. Actually, thanks for reminding me - have to get our secretary to order me more of these...

3. sanzaborn33 macrumors newbie

I have gotten away using a soft, lightly damp cloth to wipe down the palm rest and touchpad area, while I always use iKlean and a camo cloth to clean the screen.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

i have a white mb, and the keyboard's getting a little dusty. anyone have any ideas how to clean it? do i just use a microfiber clothe and wipe it down? what if some of the dust slips down into the case?

5. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

You let other people touch your computer?!?!?!?! :eek:

Teasing.

I got some alcohol free wipes for my MBP. They work great and come in a tiny little packet, like a hand wipe, so I can toss a few in my compy bag when I am going to be away from home. $2 at Walmart, I think.

6. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Thanks, i will try to pick up some later today =]

O and now i really dont let other people touch my computer, since i spent $1800 on it. I had a "guest" account that i would let brother and cousins get on if they needed, after seeing dirt i have installed ialertu, and have deleted the guest account. Opps :p

7. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

That's how I feel about mine. $2500.00 later and the best you can hope for is to sit next to my MBP. No one actually gets to TOUCH her. ;)

Consequently, I think she'll stay pristine for a long time!

8. munckee macrumors 65816

Any household cleaners that are safe? If not, any further thoughts on what I should look to pick up? My blackbook definitely needs a good cleaning, but I want to make sure that whatever I use is safe.

9. carlsbadmacbook macrumors newbie

I dont have a remedy for the screen... but I have taken black vinyl (like that used for those pesty stickers everyone buys from me) and made a template for the Macbook. I then had my plotter cut the vinyl to the exact size/shape of the macbook and carefully applied it.
    As you look at it, you would never know it was there... But if I ever decide to sell this computer, I can take it off and the finsh is like brand new!

10. kusanagi macrumors regular

When i bought my mbp from the local applecentre, they included this neat little package,

http://www.procare.com.tw/idd35.asp?prod_id=236

It is unbelieveable! The brush is good for well... brushing off dust, but the real magic is the cleaning solution and traingle cleaner, it lets you get dust right out of hte corners and the cleaning solution evapourates, and makes your screen look just likethe day you bought it.

11. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

haha yes i am now very protective of my macbook, concidering i bought it and im 13. If you can remember when you were 13 $1800 is quit a payload. Heck $1800 is a lot for anybody. I cant tell you how long i saved up for her, with my luck it will die within a year.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys :D:D