Cleaning buttery substance off Macbook Aluminum's trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by willgovus, Feb 28, 2009.

1. willgovus macrumors newbie

I recently got a dab of butter on my macbook's trackpad without realizing it, leaving a smear on it. I've tried using a microfiber cloth with warm water, rubbing alcohol, and vinegar but nothing even fades it.

Any suggestions? I read about Mr Clean's Magic Erasers or something a long the lines of that but I'm wary.

Thanks.

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

if you tried all those things the only thing else you can try is Iklear but I doubt that will get it

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My solution for removing greasy substances is dish washing liquid, like "Dawn", works great. I've never used it on a MacBook (don't have one yet) but it works on just about anything else I've tried it on. Just use it sparingly, rinse well, and be careful not to get it too wet.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it's really butter, that's an oil and protein based substance, so you'll need something that will dissolve it in order to clean it well. Alcohol won't do it.

I would recommend a lightly dampened lint-free cloth with a tiny bit of dishwashing detergent. You don't want so much water in the cloth that it seeps in around the trackpad.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dishwashing liquid, or anything that cuts through grease.

6. willgovus thread starter macrumors newbie

Dish detergent did nothing to it, either did the Mr Clean erasers. Any other suggestions?

The butter was really 'smart balance' or something a long the lines of that, maybe that has something to do with how strong the stain is?

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sounds like it absorbed into the finish on the glass trackpad leaving a stain. You could try covering the stain with either baking soda or corn starch and leave it sit for awhile to allow it to absorb the margarine from the trackpad, then vacuum it up. Be careful not to get it in or around the keys though. This may have to be repeated multiple times to get it all out...if it works.

Another possibility would be to leave it alone and it may just go away with time.

And as a last resort if the stain really bothers you, I suppose you could cover the rest of the trackpad with the margarine to make it all look the same.

8. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i have found that the best thing that works on trackpads is your own finger.
    a couple days of normal use and it should be gone

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Is this a white/blackbook macbook?

If so, you're going to probably be stuck with that stain, as the oil can stain the plastic. It'll wear down over time as your hands absorb the oil/deposit their own oils.

10. willgovus thread starter macrumors newbie

11. amrk47 macrumors regular

i would try mild baking soda

if that doesnt work then forget it

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

these suggestions of what to use on it are all well and good, but like previously mentioned, i'd try just using it for a few days and seeing if your fingers absorb the substance.

13. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

it's glass...

... so why not try windex... just spray bit on a paper towel and wipe it off

14. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Now that has to be the best advice ever :cool:
    But it seems kinda weird that it made such a stain. My WhiteBook had all kinds of stains on it (mainly from usage) but I thought that these new ones being glass and all would be a bit better at such stuff. But I'm guessing through usage it might get better.

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

The stain has most likely set-in the coating, not the glass itself.