Cleaning Cloth Dye

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vpro, Dec 28, 2012.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Ever wash your cleaning cloth that came with your MBP? The black one specifically? Just lukewarm water and some light dish soap? For a year now the black dye is still bleeding. This can't be a good thing because I really doubt it is vegetable dye, not that it specifies but I tried to confide in myself with the denial.

Anyone else a little concerned? I mean a whole year and that cloth is still bleeding black dye when I rinse it in lukewarm lightly soapy water.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have around 10 of them, I have machine washed them all and no dye has ever run out of them at all....I wonder if newer versions have this issue?

3. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

4. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Bumped.

Bump.

This needs to be addressed and I need peace of mind, I have spoken to and written a lot to Apple, they have been well informed by now about this finding of mine.

Today I realized someone else on the forum mentioned it under the good cleaning topic thread.

I am specifically addressing the black dye which leaches / bleeds out profusely from the black cleaning cloth provided with your Macs. When you go rinse the cloth under warm water with a gentle liquid soap, you may notice that the water turns black to translucent black, not grey, not light brown or even tan, no, pitch black and for close to two years now!!! Usually over time dyes wash away and you see less and less of it in your wash, not this case and this cloth is tiny right?

Is anyone else a tiny bit concerned? Who knows WHAT the dye is? Is it toxic, it definitely worries me - how this could affect one's health through the skin pours and especially going down the drain like that?!???!!!?!???

Please give this a try folks, wash the black cleaning cloth gently under warm water with light gentle liquid soap and take a photo with those eyefones we all have. I'll do the same!

Thanks. ^_^

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If you are that worried about possible health impacts, why do you continue to expose yourself to the "risks", and why are you asking others to take those same "risks"?

I would've disposed of the cloth a long time ago if I had the same concerns that you do ... even going as far as taking it to a recycling depot of some sort ... the ones that deal with old paint cans, etc., just to be on the safe side, and also warned people to stay away from them, instead of asking them to purposefully expose themselves to possible risk. (Not saying that there is a risk ... just saying that if I thought there was, I wouldn't be going around asking people to risk their safety to confirm any suspicion I might have.)

6. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Oh ya, duh!

That is a good point thanks.. That is why I'm a girl, we get very carried away with emotions and become slightly irrational at times, so it is important that there are good men around to put things into calm perspective - thank you! Yes people don't try this at home. But don't take my word for it either. I guess I'll just be patient and see what Apple has to say about all this.

Sorry I didn't mean to cause anyone or the environment further harm.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lol @ this thread. If you're worried about the cloth, throw it away and buy a cheap microfiber cloth. They're cheap and infinitely better than the one that comes with the computer.

8. vpro, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Thanks.

LOL - thanks for seeing the funny !!

I really wanted to make some effort / attempt to get some information out there just in case anyone out there may also be curious - that is alright to do, right?

Someone in the ancient times realized some mushrooms in the forrest were safe and others were not, someone had to make that observation / trial and error, so that there is an awareness out there.

I mean this cloth comes with Apple, how many people go out and buy an extra cleaning kit? How many people use this black cleaning cloth? I mean I also went out and got myself a large bottle of iKlear cleaning kit (blue cloth - doesn't bleed out blue dye everywhere) when I got my first MacBook Pro.

Just sharing a finding.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Sure, the quest for information is perfectly fine on this forum. But none of us on here are scientists and we can't determine whether or not the dye is harmful. I have about 4 of these cleaning cloths and use none of them because they just don't clean very well. Use your iKlear cloth and forget about the Apple one.

10. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It's a valid concern to have, if you're really worried about those types of things. Everyone's got at least some things that they concern themselves with that others probably couldn't care less about. It doesn't make any of those concerns less valid.

Anyway, I lost my cleaning cloth that came with the MBP that I bought just a month ago. It walked away probably around 4 or 5 days after I brought the system home from the store.

11. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Sharing..

Just sharing, no one be over concerned or alarmed.. I'm just a gentle girl sharing some of my findings. If anyone is interested / curious then they'll converse with me about it and address their own concerns / findings of similar case to Apple and all the 'right' people through all the 'appropriate' avenues of sharing information online etc...

http://youtu.be/wi85Q4Kb0M4
    Thanks.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

13. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Where did you?

Where did you unbox it? Might be under your bed, in your closet, or under the stairs.

----------

NOOOO Don't eat em ! Silly puppy ! =^_^=

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

In the living room. Desk is next to the couch. I think maybe the vacuum cleaner may have eaten it.

15. Hetalia macrumors member

Hetalia

I lost my cleaning cloth too. It's around here somewhere. I've used Clorox cleaning cloths to clean the outside of my MBP since I'm such a germapobe.
    Probably not a good idea to do that though.

16. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Wow!

Yes that is a bit much. Hmm, you can just use rubbing alcohol too diluted with some warm water and a cloth.

17. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I just use alcohol swabs. Those ones they use on your arm just before you get a flu shot, for example. I can get a box of 100 of them at WalMart for 2 bucks. (I don't use them on the display, though.)

18. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Am I the only person who thought of this song when they saw that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a_z7d2OERs

Sorry, couldn't resist :D I do love that song though.