Cleaning concerns.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ' r i S e n, May 26, 2011.

1. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I searched this (I know cleaning threads are frequent, so please hang in there with me) and found a lot of helpful information but I have questions that don't primarily focus on what to clean with (although it will work its way in), more so concerns when I am cleaning.

I have a water filter at my dwelling and I use the filtered water and a microfiber cloth to clean the screen, aluminum base, trackpad, and keys. This is not really the point, but please inform me if my method isn't good, if you would be so kind.

My concern is when cleaning the keys, although using a very, very barely damp microfiber and a gentle brushing method, I fear that some liquid may get in between the keys. I realize that if using such and this does in fact happen, the water that gets in there will be less than microscopic, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned with how sensitive something like that is to liquid. I think this is just over-exaggeration if anything but if someone has experienced this or heard about something like this happening, any information provided would be appreciated.

Also, there is a moderate amount of ish suspected to be under my keys. What can I use to get this out - and there is a way to get rid of possible dust build-up within the machine, if any exists? I'm sure it does on account of the air vents. I know that everyone will suggest canned air for these two points, but I really don't know about that stuff. It's like ice when you spray it and I feel like that would mess with my machine. Not true?

This is all most likely paranoia but I am just trying to be sure that I am taking as much care of my laptop as I can be! Thank you to anyone that offers any helpful information.

2. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I don't think you should use canned air. If any of the liquid got inside, it wouldn't be good for the components. I use one of those Giottos Rocket Blowers, that I use with my camera, to blow out the dust on the keyboard and on the vents. The keys on my keyboard never got so dirty that I had to use liquid. I just use a microfiber cloth. If necessary, you could dampen it slightly with water if the keys are sticky and I only use a microfiber cloth or the cloth that came with my camera for the screen. Never use any harsh cleaners.

3. ' r i S e n thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the idea now is to start looking for alternatives to canned air, including what you use.

Thank you for your post.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Next time when you dampen the towel, make sure that you can't squeeze water out of it before you start wiping your keys. If you can, it's too wet. As for the water that got under there, it should be OK as long as it's not too much. Just let it dry out. Don't use compressed air now because you can blow the water even deeper.

If you're worried about dust, open the bottom case of your MBP every year or so and use compressed on the fan(s) and nearby areas. When you spray the air, make sure the can is in an upright position. The reason why you see "ice" is that you're spraying the can while it's horizontal and that's not good.

5. ' r i S e n thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, for sure. I use a barely damp microfiber, and squeeze it out until there is no water left to drip off of it. I don't believe any small amount of water has gone in between the keys, but I am worried that it may happen. I suppose it's just paranoia, I should be fine if I keep using the microfiber when it is barely damp.

If I do decide to use canned air for the dust, is a yearly dust clean proper? I clean my screen, keys, and base maybe once per week or biweekly ... could I really get away with yearly dust removal? I mean, I don't like throw it into dust ... it's just sitting on a desk.

Thank you for your reply.