Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I just purchased a used stainless steel AW, and was wondering how you all the recommend cleaning the device before wearing it. Soap and water, Lysol wipes, etc?

Input is much appreciated!

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Apple has always had some sort of official recommendation on device care. Today it is probably in an online document.

Ten or twenty years ago it was in the hardcopy manual that accompanied the device.

That said, invariably Apple's advice is to use a clean, soft, dry cloth and to not use liquids or cleaning agents.

But go ahead, seek out the official manual for this device and report back what it says.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's pretty much it...
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522

But, if the "new" watch is particularly grungy looking, I would probably remove the band, and scrub that band with a soft brush and 90% iso alcohol. Wipe dry with a soft cloth, and let it air-dry for a couple of hours, then reassemble. Don't use any liquids on the watch itself, just the soft cloth.
Or, if you don't feel comfortable with the previously-worn band, just replace with a new one that you like. That makes the most sense to me, but not everyone would need to take that step.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just purchased a used stainless steel AW, and was wondering how you all the recommend cleaning the device before wearing it. Soap and water, Lysol wipes, etc?

Input is much appreciated!

I would recommend a microfiber cloth, and you can dampen it with a little warm water and a minimal amount of soap. That's usually how I would handle my Apple Watch.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I have my own band so I only need to clean the screen and stainless frame. I’d just like to get rid of any “germs” since it has been usd.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I have my own band so I only need to clean the screen and stainless frame. I’d just like to get rid of any “germs” since it has been usd.

The world is awash in germs. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use a dampened microfiber cloth and enjoy your new (to you) watch.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

You're going to get more "germs" on your watch and its band while picking out the best looking mango or green pepper at the markets than were on that thing when you first laid eyes on it. Scuff it up with the damp corner of a microfiber cloth once in awhile and then dry it off with the dry corner LOL, that would be my choice on how to clean it.

EDIT: and @Smoothie beat me to it.. :)

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
It may be blasphemous, but I use glasses cleaner wipes. I use them on the entire watch (Sans band) about every 3rd or 4th time I charge the watch, but use one on the face every time I clean my glasses. So far, no damage that I can see.
[doublepost=1512578865][/doublepost]
That's because it takes longer to post from the Catskills than from California. :)
Well, there ARE all those mountains..... :)

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well, there ARE all those mountains..... :)

Yep. Roll us out flat and we'd be bigger'n Texas... or so our county sheriff likes to claim when we complain it takes a long darn time for them to show up if we happen to call him...

On topic: I'll cop to having used those iKlear travel singles on my iPad now and then if I have one in my purse along with a microfiber cloth and I'm not near a water source... so if I had a watch I might do similarly I guess. I'm more a t-shirt-wiper kinda person for phones, truth be told, or I was until I got the kind of eyeglasses that are coated and pretty much warn you off doing that. It made me think about possiblilty of wiping grit into a mobile device screen, Gorilla glass or no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.