Cleaning files after uninstall programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Alin, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Alin macrumors newbie

A good application for cleaning remaining files after uninstall programs?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

There are several around, I have AppZapper which works quite well for me (when I get around to using it) but it's shareware. MacUpdate lists a program called AppTrap that's freeware, but I have no personal opinion on it... and it looks like it's only been reviewed 11 times on that site.

3. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Since there is no Registry on a Mac or DLL files scattered all over to find and delete, usually just a drag and drop in the Trash is enough. If the App didn't come with it's own uninstaller you will find that typically you just have a 4kb Pref file to chase down.
    If you Open your Applications folder, and double click on an app, the app launches just like it does on a windows machine, but if you Right click on the app you can select "Show Package Contents", this will let you see all the files that are needed to launch the App. No need for a "Registry" or a bunch of DLL files on a Mac as all information is kept within the package. With the App being a Package like this you can typically move it, copy it or trash it without worrying about a Corrupted Registry or a bunch of other files all over you Mac. No real need for a Special App to chase down a bunch of files for you.

I see no need to run an app like (AppZapper = 3.9 MB or AppCleaner = 6.7 MB) to delete a 4 kb text file. How many thousands of these 4kb files would it take to equal the size of any of the Zapper apps???? and they use no Ram running in the background unlike the Zappers that have to run all the time to keep up with that little Pref file.

Every few months I go to Users/user name/Library/Preferences and delete the .plist files that belong to Apps I have deleted. Since I don't have to spend as much time on maintenance as I did on Windows machine, this makes me feel like I have done something important on my Mac. LOL