Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

videotape

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hi!
I have a white macbook and it's starting to get stains where my hands rest...gross, i know. it's kind of embarrasing even. is there anything I can do? I tried cleaning it but no luck. I haven't tried iklean yet but i'm not sure if it will work. any suggestions?

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Could you post a picture? It could be the imfamous stains on the first MBs. If it is, Apple will replace it. (I think, someone confirm?):cool:

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
yes, some had yellowish stains (discoloration), and apple will take care of it, but if it's just 'normal' stains, you could try as damp cloth and toothpaste :D

videotape

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
oh, no, they're not yellow. but i'll try the toothpaste thing.
thank you!:)

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Hi!
Is there anything I can do? I tried cleaning it but no luck. I haven't tried iklean yet but i'm not sure if it will work. any suggestions?

iKlean? I am not familiar with that, do you mean iKlear?

I would suggest using a little bit of bleach that has been diluted with just a little bit of water, not enough water to make it runny, but just a little bit to make the gel not as coagulated and potent. I would NOT recommend usinng toothpaste. It can leave your comp sticky and the residue can be activated over time by the heat from your palms and the sweat, which in turn could make it sticky again or attract little flies if you are outside.

J.B.Horns

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2006
I always reach for liquid dish soap before trying anything. Put a drop or two on a soft damp towl and see how that works. Then use another damp towel to wipe it clean. Liquid dish soap is a degreaser, so it works well with body oils. Plus, it's non abrasive.

I'd try that before anything else. If that doesn't work, try windex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.