Cleaning ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by questions, Feb 3, 2009.

1. questions macrumors member

What product would be safe to use to clean my ibook including the keyboard?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Do you mean a liquid of a type of cloth? Personally, I wouldn't put any liquid on my old iBook other than a damp cloth, avoiding the areas around the apple on the back of the case (water can seep in and damage the backside of the LCD).

3. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or the generic counterparts) do a good job of scrubbing off grime. Just don't scrub too vigorously as it's an abrasive.

4. questions thread starter macrumors member

Whatever is safer, is it safe to clean the keyboard? I've had my ibook for about three years seems like I should clean it, it's also definitely "less white" than when i bought it.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A lot of that discoloration is due to oils from your skin getting into the porous plastic. That yellowing/browning, for the most part, won't come up with a wipe down. If you must clean the keys, maybe use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

6. Stachelsk macrumors regular

Yes, a moist cloth is probably the best way to go. You can use your favorite cleaning product as long as it is not abrasive/so strong that it deforms the plastic or takes the lettering off the keyboard. To take extra precaution, be sure to remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter before you start cleaning the iBook. If you have a feeling that any water/liquid got past the keyboard or another peripheral and into the device, do **NOT** plug it in until you are **SURE** that all the liquid has **COMPLETELY** evaporated. You could soak a circuit board in water without damaging it, as long as there is no power applied to it. As soon as you apply power and things are bridged by water, you have things short-circuit and fry themselves.

Edit: I regularly clean my keyboard with acne pads (salicylic acid-based). If it removes oils from human skin, so...

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

a little sunlite and water used to dampen a cloth or paper towel worked for me on my old ibook (Y)... just use very little solution... just enough to dampen

8. akashsp macrumors newbie

akashsp

Cleaning Macbook

Hi guys i heard somewhere that using a rubber can clean the white macbook and remove scratches not tried it but you might want to consider trying;)

9. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Pure lemon works great. Put it on a cloth though not directly on the machine. Avoid toxics.