Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
How should I go about cleaning out the dust in my iMac G4's fan?

It's annoying to watch small puffs of dust shoot up and stick to the metal neck. I'm hoping there's better ways than disassembling the whole iMac.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I was thinking about that, but considering how the fan is positioned, I think compressed air would just blow the dust in deeper into the hardware. Any better suggestions?

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
applekid said:
I was thinking about that, but considering how the fan is positioned, I think compressed air would just blow the dust in deeper into the hardware. Any better suggestions?

I just updated the ram in mine, and noticed how most of the holes on both the bottom and top of my iLamp were pretty much clogged w/ dust. I decided to take tweezers and pull out the dust hole-by hole. Some of it got pushed back down into the hardware, but most of that ended up getting blown back out of the top. I'm not too sure if what I did was kosher w/ official apple maintenence policy or whatnot, but the fan seems to come on less often so I guess it worked out ok. As far as compressed air, I had the same gut feelings about that as you. I don't wanna blow dust up into my hardware and short out something.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I guess nobody has anymore tips (or cares) for the iMac G4 fan cleaning... :(

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
applekid said:
I guess nobody has anymore tips (or cares) for the iMac G4 fan cleaning... :(

well i care but i have no ideas. mines spitten dust at me too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.