Cleaning iMac Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thechris69, May 1, 2007.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Hello all, its time to clean the screen on my imac... i have various dust particles on the screen and its getting anoying... however, I treat my imac screen like delicate china as in, ive never touched it before... so i dont want to use anything that will scratch up the screen or anything... so what can i use to best get the dust off and not have scratches? t-shirt,dish towel, paper towel etc...:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

2. squirrelbait macrumors newbie

iclean works for me, plus comes with a microfibre cloth

3. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

something that i dont have to buy that is lieing around the house is what is prefered

4. neven macrumors 6502a

If you have any iKlear lying around the house, try that.

Seriously, though, I doubt you already have something that will do the job well and safely. The least you'll want to use is a microfiber lens/screen cloth. Don't use paper towels. Don't use regular drying cloths or towels. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT use any cleaning products which don't SPECIFICALLY say they can be used to clean LCD displays. The wrong chemical or dilution may permanently scratch or fog your display. There's a reason Apple techs recommend and use iKlear.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

pfft. ive used windex with ammonia on every lcd screen ive ever owned and nothing bad has ever come of it.. but with that being said, im pretty careless, and just because nothing bad happened with my various LCDs doesnt mean u should try the windex approach

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

ive yet to see dish towels and paper towel scratch a screen. this is plastic we're talking about.. not your great grandmother..

7. neven macrumors 6502a

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

iKlear is great. You've got to be crazy if you'd actually put something like windex on an LCD. Wow.

9. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

iklear or the like. Works great and cleans every surface of your imac

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I use water and tissue. Works very well. It doesn't scratch the screen either.

12. macman05 macrumors regular

13. KingofAwesome macrumors regular

I line my desk with 5-6 mugs of hot tea (decaf works best) and then aim a hair dryer at the screen for a few minutes. It takes the vapor from the tea and gently but forcefully throws it at the display, then the heat evaporates it off.

I have a friend who swears by Crisco and a cheese cloth, but he has an ACD and I use an iMac - the Crisco color is just enough different than the iMac to be annoying, but that doesn't matter with the silver bezeled ACD.

14. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

I see smudges, or something like them, on my iMac screen. So I tried to clean them off with Klear Screen spray because the bottle says the spray is say for Apple screens. It's supposed to be anti-static, too. Should I spray the screen and wipe it with the black cloth that came with it?

Thanks.

Bill

15. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You screen is covered in a sheet of glass! Just take some soft paper towel and spray a few squirts of Windex on it (not soaked) and wipe off your glass screen.

Do let paranoia destroy your enjoyment!:)

17. dreamer99 macrumors newbie

Don't use Windex

I used Windex on my iMac screen, and it permanently fogged it. It's not terribly dark, but I can see it, and it bothers me. I recommend iKlear.

18. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I've been using mild amounts of windex sprayed onto a soft cloth for initial wiping down, and then finishing the display off with a microfiber for a while now. Never have gotten any sort of clouding of the glass panel. Same can be said for my 40 inch samsung.

19. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Read the manual, Apple specifically tells you how to clean your Mac! Don't listen to any of the "advice" read what the manufacturer says they generally have a better idea than anyone else. Not trying to anger all the folks that are trying to help but some are simply filling this space with mis information.

Guess it's called MacRumors for a reason.

20. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Just water and a microfiber cloth won't get rid of oil left from fingerprints I'm afraid.

Microfiber cloth is clearly the way to go if all you wanna do is remove dust--the iMac even comes with one. Glass is glass, and doesn't scratch unless you take something sharp/hard to it.

21. graphicgypsy macrumors newbie

I just purchased my Imac last month and the salesperson at the apple store said absolutely do not use windex or any product with alcohol. He said to use the microfiber cloth that came with the IMAC and if I needed to, use a little water, but that's it.

22. Detosx macrumors regular

When transporting my iMac someone who shall remain nameless put the protective plastic back on but when in the process of doing so a sticky/gummy part bumped against the screen and, when pulled away, left gum on the screen.

So, how to clean that off? Provided alcohol didn't get onto the aluminum fascia, wouldn't that be the best way to remove it? Does the iMac's glass have an anti reflective multicoating that would be damaged by alcohol or diluted dishes detergent?

23. kevrayner macrumors newbie

I use Lens Bright optical cleaner from specsavers

Kev

24. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It depends on which iMac you're talking about, but the latest ones have a thick glass panel covering actual lcd panel itself. You'd be hard-pressed to scratch it with anything that isn't a metal, nor would you ruin it with a basic glass cleaner. The only thing I'd worry about would be the aluminum finish.