Cleaning inside mid-2010 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Milltek, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Milltek macrumors regular

Milltek

Hi,
    Doe anyone have a link to a good guide for cleaning the dust from inside a mid-2010 27" iMac? I looked at iFixit.org but theirs are all about changing drives. I am pretty sure that after all this time there's a lot of dust accumulating inside it and I'd like to clean it.

Thanks

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Why do you suspect this is the case?

There's no reason to pop it open if there's not a problem.

3. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Is it running hot, slow or are the fans very loud?

Personally, I wouldn't risk bricking the iMac by opening it up just for this reason, unless there is a severe problem.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You might just get one of the "Fan Utility" programs often mentioned here, install it and turn it up to full blast while you have a vacuum cleaner near the output vent (or do it outside). :D

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

All I ever do is wipe my iMac down once a week and vacuum the vents. If you do a search on cleaning an iMac that is what is mostly recommended. Never blow into it as that will just disperse any dust that may be inside even further into your machine.

6. Milltek thread starter macrumors regular

Milltek

Hi All,

Nothing has happened to the machine. However, in years past when I used to build PC's (for myself) I was always amazed at the amount of very very fine dust that would build up on the inside components. I feel that in an enclosure that is as tight as the iMac a buildup of this type would cause overheating of some components and shorten the life of the machine overall.

It's more a case of some preventive maintenance than anything else.

Thanks