Cleaning iphone 6 plus leather case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CBillups1, Jan 30, 2015.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

anyway to clean this? i have the red leather and the sizes are turning black and it looks horrible.

my girl called me out on it and told me to get a new case because it looks disgusting.

any possible way to clean this and make it look good/decent?

2. AppleGuruOne macrumors member

Once the black nastiness gets on those cases, you can't get it off. If you get another one, get black. It does the same thing but you cant see it.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's quite possible that it isn't dirt making it black, but that the leather's surface (with the red dye) is wearing off exposing the underlying materials which are black.

I know that is the case with my red case.

4. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

The black and midnight blue color of these cases wear the best. The others get really dirty very fast.

5. Femme macrumors regular

Any pix of the case? I really wanted the red one because of how much the color pops and now I'm having second thoughts. I don't put it in jeans pockets or any pants pockets so I don't know if that affects the color change

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Solution: change the girlfriend :D

----------

From my experience, every colored leather case will change after a while. The only solution is to buy the black one, the less affected by color changes...

7. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

I have been using lens wipes. After cleaning screen and camera lens the same wipe is used on my black apple leather case. With no problems, or the wipe causing problems with the dye in the leather case.

You can buy lens wipes at Walmart in eye care section, 30 pack of wipes are about 2 bucks and some free standing sales stands of boxes of 60 for 3 bucks.
    Just get a packet and try some small area on your red case first.

8. dk206 macrumors regular

I have the midnight blue. Very happy with my purchase and a classic look with the 6+.

I've been enjoying this case even more now that it has gone softer and a little bit more grippy as time passes :)

9. gmhag macrumors regular

There is a trick I've used in the past that I got off of some of the automotive forums (BMW, Audi) to refresh oily steering wheels. Seems like it would be similar leather of the iphone case. You just wet a magic eraser and GENTLY draw it over the leather with light pressure. DONT SCRUB! I did this on one of my steering wheels that had gotten slick and oily and it drew out alot of the dirt and oil and gave the leather a welcomed texture.... not saying a "like new" texture but just better than the sticky dirt and oil texture.

I have a brown iphone 6 leather case that is getting a little oily around the edges but i havent tried this process on it yet. Maybe if i get bored enough tonight.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

11. gmhag, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

gmhag macrumors regular

Cleaning iphone 6 plus leather case?

So here's after I tried the magic eraser method I mentioned above.

Before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423005605.902137.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423005625.092864.jpg
    After
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423005647.404504.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423005659.511112.jpg

Still slightly discolored. But not slick and sticky at all like it was before. The edges are softer now. Not huge results but for only 5 minutes not bad. I wasn't expecting it to go back to new condition so I'm pretty happy with the results. Overall, I'd say it reversed a couple months of use.

For the record I've had my case since launch day.

12. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Wow. There is some AWFUL advice being used here.

1. Do NOT use iKlear or other alcohol based cleaners. Alcohol + Leather do NOT mix.

2. Do NOT use magic erasers (malamine bars). These work by rubbing off a superficial layer of the substrate, like a very fine sandpaper. You are basically rubbing off the top layer of leather with these things.

The ONLY thing you should use is a gentle leather cleaner, that you have tested on a small area first. POSSIBLY some 1:10 dilution of mild soap and water.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Use a proper leather cleaner if it's actually dirty. I use 1Z's leather cleaner and conditioner for our cars and it's very good at cleaning up leather that other leather cleaners are unable to deal with. However, there are countless good leather cleaning products out there.

Do not use a Magic Eraser. It's an abrasive.

15. gmhag macrumors regular

Yeah, you guys are right. I should have made it clear that the magic eraser method shouldn't be used in these scenarios:

- if your case still has life and is in decent condition. This is a last ditch effort before you go get a new case
    - if you have access to top quality leather cleaners and are willing to waste more than 5 minutes gently massaging the cream on your case.
    - if you expect your case to last longer than a year or two (hint: they won't)
    - if the possibility of damaging a $40 apple case might make you cry
    - if you treat your case like it is top grade leather
    - if you are worried about your cases superficial layer of substrate

For anyone that fits these categories I advise not to use the magic eraser method.

For any normal everyday people just trying to clean the grime off of their case it might be worth a shot.

16. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

The only reason I've stuck to my red leather Apple case is the fact that it was so damn expensive to begin with.

£39 for this is ********, it really sucks. The only advantage being that it fits the phone closely adds minimal bulk to an already substantial footprint.

17. davidnyjets macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

If you go into an Apple Store and explain that you spent X amount on the phone and then X amount more on this case and it isn't wearing well they'll most likely replace. You might even have the option to opt for a darker color as it'll wear better overtime. Key is to be nice, patient, and let them know you're frustrated at the situation and not the employee helping you. Works wonders a lot of the time.

18. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Hi -- I'm considering getting the leather case with my next phone. I've always used plastic or silicone cases, and I like how they're easy to clean when one gets sweaty or sticky: I just wipe with a damp rag (maybe add a tiny bit of soap, if it's super grody), and then dry it off.

I'm wondering if I could do the same with the leather case; I know that water and leather don't mix so well. Will I be left feeling like my case is gross, and I can't properly clean it?

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I wouldn't try soap and water on your leather case unless it's your last ditch effort before throwing it out. Others have mentioned damage and puffed up areas from getting just drops of water on their cases.

20. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I've read somewhere around this forum that some use this cleaner called (ironically) Apple Leather cleaner. You can find it on amazon.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I'm one that uses the Apple leather cleaner. I use it for all my leather - purses, furniture and car interior. It does a nice job and leaves a nice soft feel. I don't know that it would help though for the staining that appears to have penetrated the aniline leather. To be on the safe side, I always treat my my leather with the Apple Guard which is a stain protector and then also use the cleaner/ conditioner once in awhile to keep the leather clean and supple.

22. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Thanks to all. Hmm... not sure I want to deal with all that leather-care rigmarole...

23. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

It does have a 1 year warranty so obviously it is still under warranty.

24. RadioGaGa1984, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Birkenstock leather and sude cleaner and refresher works wonders.

And just an FYI iKlear doesn't contain alcohol.