Cleaning & keeping your Macbook dust-free.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fruu, Oct 26, 2013.

1. fruu macrumors newbie

fruu

Back in march I purchased my 13" Retina, unfortunately where I live there's tons of dust all over and even though I do clean the whole apartment every 1-2 days I noticed it gets noticeably hotter during some tasks (or few apps open at a time). Sometimes even only Photoshop with some music in the background and like one (srsly one) Chrome tab (I know they use quite a lot of memory, but it's not more than 1-2 and it didn't use to be the problem) make the fans go up to 4000 rpm or above.

It's probably no use to disassemble the laptop just yet, I mean it's only a few months old, but maybe there are some tips to prevent further dust going in or sth? Frankly speaking, it irritates me quite a lot because I really try to take care of this thing and the results are not that good.

I always used compressed air with my Windows laptops, but well, it didn't help that much + I know there are numerous disadvantages to it probably (dust going further in?). I'm not sure, I'd just appreciate all your tips to keep your mac clean :).

2. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

With the gills, these "new latest/greatest, thin n lights" collect, rather, suck in at least 89% more dust and debris than non-retina-notebooks before it. Thanks engineers - thanks, really, seriously?

3. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Yeah I'm worried I can't use my rMBP on the flour-covered table where I'm rolling out dough due to that 89% increase :p

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I can imagine the painstaking research that it took to arrive to that exact figure :D

OP: There is not much else you can do, but use canned air. If dust really starts to become a problem, get a pentalobe screw driver, and clean the fans occasionally. It's very quick and easy to do. But canned air should be enough.

5. cyberbro macrumors member

cyberbro

One thing I was thinking of that might help a little, make sure the computers in the house are off when cleaning, so the fans don't suck the extra dust in the air from the cleaning.