Cleaning keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Eldiablojoe, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I have a white 2009 unibody MacBook. I've almost always had a clear silicone Marware cover on the keyboard.

Slowly over time, I've noticed more and more "moisture spots" on keys, between the cover and the keyboard.

They are clear, but have a non-evaporating oil consistency to them. They do not wipe clean with my fingers. I have left the cover off before for a coupla days, but the oil does not evaporate.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

PS-- Don't mind the random dog hair or two caught up in the photo, lol

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      375.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      383.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      427.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thank you Michael, I've read that thread before. It doesn't answer my dilemma:

The keys don't stick, they just have this non-sticky, but non-evaporative substance on them despite having spent 99% of its life under a Marwear silicone keyboard cover.

What is it and how do I keep it from reappearing?

EDIT: The second link is most helpful- I'm'a gonna buy me some of dem today.

3. codmark macrumors newbie

CLEAN KEYBOARD ( do this well...... you will be wonderfully rewarded )
    Clean the keyboard with cotton swabs SLIGHTLY DAMPENED with water. Replace these often and BE SURE they are only slightly damp. If they are too wet the excess water will contaminate the keyboard through capillary action. This will clean all water soluble contaminants like Coca-Cola, coffee, and sugar residue. For the very small places, cut the foam rubber into small pieces and use the tweezers, again SLIGHTLY DAMPENED, for cleaning. You must clean each and every key space, inside and out, this is critical since this is where the key touches and moves.

4. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

that's a wear mark

a doff and textured surface of the keyboard wears and gets shiny and changes textures over time. this cannot be stopped, even with you silicone

i suggest the MOZHI (or the 0.01 mm thingy) at apple, i have a chinese copy version of it called BLINK, works very well. very little wear at all.

or if it's too late, you can pick up a keyboard buttons set somewhere