cleaning keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rossatron, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

hey,

i was wondering how can i clean keyboard keys. im talking about the black keys you have on the mac itself. i tried using my glasses's cleaning cloth, but results were not great.

thanks

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I use microfiber. If that isn't sufficient then you probably need a cleaning solution to deal with the grease and dirt. There are tons of options. Just be careful and select one that isn't too strong.

3. willsoriano macrumors member

A Mr. Clean Eraser has become my best friend. Although getting the crap from beneath the keys is another story. I have yet to figure that one out.

4. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Um, I dunno if you should be using the Mr Clean. It's really abrasive, but works.

5. willsoriano macrumors member

I know its super abrasive, but given the keys are black I figured if done lightly and because it isnt as wet as the cleaning cloths it really is the most effective way to get rid of not only my greasy finger gunk, but the shine left after you had already cleaned it.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I use Kleen and Dry isopropyl wipes for the body and keys. Just keep them off the screen (ironically what they were made for- they just don't go well with the screen's coating).

7. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I usually use a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol. Just enough to get it damp. Then run it all over the keys. Nice and clean. Works even better on the white desktop keyboards to remove the dirt that accumulates over time.

8. leman macrumors 604

A very soft toothbrush works well, with a bit of rubbing alcohol.