cleaning keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Oct 1, 2007.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

What's the best way to clean a standard white mac desktop keyboard? There're crumbs, dog hair, and just general darkening of the keys. Don't know how it all got in there, but I want this thing clean again.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I find that a combination of vacuuming and compressed air works well.

For cleaning the keys, you might try a barely damp cloth, water/vinegar combination. Maybe a tiny bit of cleaner, but nothing harsh or abrasive, and follow up with a barely damp cloth (water or water/vinegar) to remove residue.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You can pop the keys out one by one. It takes awhile, but it'll look as good as new when it's put back together. Just make sure when you pop the keys out, place it in order on the desk or you'll have trouble putting keys back in order. :)

4. tom.96 macrumors regular

Right. Follow these steps, I move desk a lot at work and I clean the keyboard like this -

1 Get someones business card and push it along the gaps in between the keys. Push the card from the backspace key to the tab key and a whole of gunk will be there that you can take out. Repeat for all rows.

2 Tip keyboard upside down, shake.

3 Get a cleaning wipe (they sell pots of them for this sort of thing) and clean the keys. In addition to visible filth there will also be germs to. Get rid of those with one of these cleaning wipes.

4 Don't let anyone else use it!

Good luck

5. Italchef macrumors 6502

I've had to take my keyboard apart and I found that the best way not to get mixed up putting back together is to take a digital photo of your keyboard before you take it apart. Makes things much easier when putting it back together.

Mick