Cleaning keyboards/mices with internal batteries?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by supercooled, Dec 24, 2007.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

How do you guys clean your BT keyboard in the event that you've spilled a beverage in it. My Dinovo Edge is all sticky from a direct spill of cough medicine. I haven't a clue as to how to dissect this thing but I'm thinking of submerging it in water for a day and then let it dry for a week before I attempt to power it up. My only concern is the battery in there.

Sigh. $200 down the drain?

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

My Apple BT keyboard died after I spilt an alcoholic drink on it. Brand new it was. Had to buy a new one. I have to say, though, $200 for a keyboard!?

I suppose it's a bit late to ask Santa...

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Submerging it in water while the battery is still in there pretty much guarantees a complete failure of the electronics.

IF you can get the battery out first, submerging it in distilled water may help, but given how sticky cough medicine is, I'd say it's unlikely. New keyboard time, I'm afraid.

4. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm in Canada and we apparently get raped on pricing from the manufacturers. Being from the UK, I'm sure you're familiar with that as well. The next best thing is, I just found out our local electronics chain (Futureshop) is selling it for a reasonable $99. Takes the sting out just a bit.