Cleaning leather loop.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jordynicholls, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jordynicholls macrumors newbie

jordynicholls

Whats the best way to clean the leather loop band, I noticed mines got extremely dirty and theirs a quite a bit of dead skin from when sitting on my wrist.

2. papbot macrumors 6502

The Apple instructions are to just use a dampened cloth. I actually have been using a screen cleaner called iKlear that I use to clean my mac's screen as well as my iPad and phone. I just spray a little bit on a cloth and wipe it across the band, front and back. It works pretty well and I've not seen any discoloration of the band. I also use that to clean the screen as well as the sensors on back when I've been sweating a lot.

3. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

iKlear is mostly isopropyl alcohol from what I remember. I wouldn't use that. Long term you're drying the leather out. I think a warm damp cloth should be fine.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

iKlear is definitely not isopropyl alcohol.

"Meridrew has always been the industry leader in High Performance Screen Cleaning Technology. The secret to Meridrew's success has been our exclusive, alcohol and ammonia-free, environmentally friendly and non-toxic formula."

5. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Still though, I wouldn't use a screen cleaner on leather. Maybe try a leather cleaner and test it on the inside of the band in case it causes any issues.

6. papbot macrumors 6502

That is the description on the bottle I have. Plus I don't think occasional use will harm the band regardless. It hasn't harmed mine anyway.

But if you have no deposits on the band, a dampened cloth should suffice.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

8. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I have three leather loops and just wash it under tap water with the watch using a soft toothbrush. Dry it right after and it looks great. This leather has been worked over or over processed to the point that any leather products will do very little and attract more debris.

The damp cloth is Apple way of telling us to not keep it wet for a long time but rinsing under water with the watch once a week will do it no harm.

10. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

If you don't mind, would you post a picture? I want to compare to how dirty mine looks.