Cleaning Macbook internal fan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by -tWv-, Jun 3, 2009.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

As I was opening up my macbook to install a new upgrade of RAM i noticed that there was a considerable buildup of dust on the internal fan. I thought that this could not be good for the macbook but I didn't touch it because I didn't want to mess anything up. Has anyone cleaned out the unibody macbook fan and is it even necessary to clean the fan? I just don't want my macbook to have problems because there is dust buildup in the inside of it.

Any experiences/methods when cleaning internal fans in laptops would be appreciated.

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Use a can of compressed air, that should do the trick

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Be careful not to spin up the fans too fast.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

John hit it on the head. Compressed air, but in short bursts and don't tip the can much, as it'll start shooting REALLY cold air+propellant which could cause moisture to build.

5. twylie macrumors newbie

bringing back an old post, but I cleaned out my Unibody MBP today and although it didn't appear that there was a lot of dust and build up, it was obviously enough to cause higher fan speeds. Now back down to a whisper under light load (mail, web and documents). Prior to the cleaning, fans were running at 3000 - 3800 rpm. Post cleaning, right at 2000 and virtually silent. My UMBP is a late 2008/early 2009 version with removable battery. Easy 10 min operation and recommended if you're experiencing higher fan speeds under light loads.

6. miicah macrumors regular

lol?

7. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

Could you provide a link to that post?

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

lol

9. miicah macrumors regular

Just find the fan removal guide on iFixIt and pull the fan apart instead of replacing it with a new one.