Cleaning MacBook Pro and Video Card and RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sup3rknova, May 17, 2012.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Wondering what people use to clean their MBP. I bought some basic wipes awhile back and while they worked ok I was thinking if a damp cloth with water will work fine too. Obviously not dripping with water and I was thinking of holding it upside down to wipe it so no water may accidently be squeezed into the keys.

Also,
    My MBP seems to have a slight lag on opening some programs such as iPhoto and iMovie. (iMovie ALOT of lag). Ive had it less than a year, should I add some more ram? I also have windows installed on it and I would like to play Battlefield 3. Is it possible to upgrade my video card since it looks like mine may not be strong enough to run it.
    Specs are below. THANKS!

REFURBISHED
    13-inch, Early 2011 (1280 x 800)
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
    320 GB

2. macbookpro00 macrumors newbie

For cleaning I would assume just asking an apple retailer as I have no experience with that :D (I just keep my mac as dirty as @@@@)
    now for the slight lag it can be because you are overloading your mac with apps and other stuff.
    I would suggest trying onyx to clean up your mac and fix errors on discs and that would reduce the lag
    Also I assume you can add up to 16 GB of ram in the late MBPs 2011 and this would definitely increase the speed.
    unfortunately for the graphics card you cant upgrade it but the game should be fine if you put all the graphic settings to low
    hope this helps

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Adding RAM won't increase the speed at all unless your system is strapped for RAM. Load up activity monitor and check your Page outs. If the number is low, or zero, more RAM will do nothing at all.

4. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

You would benefit most from putting an SSD in there if you're experiencing lag opening those apps.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

An integrated card would not even launch Battlefield 3. Don't waste your $60 only to find out you can't run it.

6. goRoostr macrumors member

Your video card is soldered to the logic board. I'd agree with getting a SSD, will make a huge difference. As far as cleaning, iKlear is the best way to go. Cleans, protects, and just makes it look pretty. You can buy it online or at an Apple store.

7. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Thanks everyone for the info. When I bring up activity monitor, is there a good simple tutorial on describing what I am actually looking for?
    Heres a screenshot of system memory.
    [​IMG]

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hmm 3rd thread of the day concerning about MBP GPU upgrade :mad:

No you cannot upgrade GPU and RAM wont benefit you as much.
    The 13in only has integrated GPU called Intel HD 3000.
    I have to say, one of the worst integrated GPUs Ive seen.

I even have hard time playing BF3 on medium setting with a discrete GPU or AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB.
    So the answer is no.
    Probably not even on the lowest settings.

To clean, you can buy a product called iKlean.
    Or be like me and use a damp micro fiber cloth.

----------

your image isnt working.