Cleaning MacBook Pro casing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gnownayr, Sep 14, 2007.

1. gnownayr macrumors regular

Hi,
    i've had my pro for a couple months now, and i am able to detect some dirt and fingerprint marks where my palms go. what do you recommend to clean this off?
    thanks

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I use water and it works perfectly. Can't say that I've ever had to clean dirt off it though. I usually wipe it down before it gets that bad. Just don't use rubbing alcohol.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Soap and Water...

U will never hurt anything on it w/ Mild Soap and Hot Water.... Obviously don't Soak it Down everywhere, but you can wipe everything with that to start... Let it sit a bit to "break down" grime and then wipe w/ Clean water after that...

For Keyboard I will TIP MACHINE ON ITS SIDE (or Upside Down) and Wipe away... again, with Rag that is quite Damp, not dripping wet!! ;)

As well, Isopropyl (?sp.) Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) can remove misc. scuffs and Dirt that Water doesn't wanna touch... A Clean Machine is a Happy Machine!! Hope this helps.... :D

4. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I bought some stainless steel cleaner spray from Target, and it works nicely. It's supposed to be used on stainless steel appliances, so it doesn't leave any residue or anything.

I wish I had the name handy, but it comes in a small gray can.

5. Rio macrumors newbie

6. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I've been using iKlear which i also use on the screen.

7. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm also interested in general cleaning...I exclusively use my mbp now in school while taking notes and stuff, and I find that going from room to room, touching desks, doors, shaking hands, etc, makes my macbook pro "probably" quite dirty.

I'm interested more in the bacteria aspect of this lol.

9. n8236 macrumors 65816

Actually, ur sweat and dirt will eventually eat through your mbp's casing. There is always a chemical reaction going on, just that you can't see it. It was documented in another thread that frequent uses without proper cleaning will eventually eat away at the ionized metal surface leaving a black surface.

When I first got my mbp, I placed a plastic protection film over the wrist area, but it soon became stained (yellowing) and it won't turn back clear after cleaning. Then I got Marware and it has been perfect ever since.