Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all

I've had a Macbook pro for just over a year now, it's a fantastic machine.

I have noticed recently there has been a slow down in operations slightly. I have never ever done anything to clean it or "freshen it up" so to speak.

Is there anything I should be doing monthly/6 monthly/annually please? Or anything I can go just to clean it of the crap? I don't really download anything except the odd third party programme, documents, music, tv shows and movies.

Thanks all :)

iRyann

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
London
Hi all

I have noticed recently there has been a slow down in operations slightly. I have never ever done anything to clean it or "freshen it up" so to speak.

Is there anything I should be doing monthly/6 monthly/annually please? Or anything I can go just to clean it of the crap? I don't really download anything except the odd third party programme, documents, music, tv shows and movies.

Use Disk Manager to verify/repair permissions. I do mine almost weekly.

Not sure this will speed up the machine per say, but it is useful.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi all

How full is the HDD? How much RAM is installed and what are the Page Outs like in correlation with the Uptime?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
143GB used, 500GB HDD. 4GB RAM.

What's you're current Uptime?

Under Activity Monitor, System Memory Tab, what do you show for Page outs?

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-27%20at%2011.15.22%20AM.png

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
What year and spec is it?

Early 2012.

2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

----------

What's you're current Uptime?

Under Activity Monitor, System Memory Tab, what do you show for Page outs?

I don't know a great deal about computers, but comparing your lovely pie chart to my less lovely one appears quite worrying! Any help would be much appreciated :)

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I suggest getting 8GB.
You do have 1.5GB inactive but it wont hurt to have more RAM.
I mean they are getting extremely cheap as well.

If you are really looking for speed, get SSD.

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
What's the Uptime? How long has it been since the computer was last restarted?

Your Page out's are low, considering the 4GB of RAM installed, indicating a recent restart.

It's only been on a few hours today. Page outs are now at 72mb.

Should my lack of free space and your large amount of free space be a reason to worry?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's only been on a few hours today. Page outs are now at 72mb.

Should my lack of free space and your large amount of free space be a reason to worry?

There's no reason to worry per se. But leave it on for at least a day and see how the Page out's look. In all likelihood, you could benefit from additional RAM which is probably why you're experiencing some sluggishness.

I have 16GB of RAM as you saw and no Page outs and this Mac has been on for 19 days now.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
It is entirely normal for a computer or, more specifically, an operating system to get slower the more it is used. The more data you store the more it has to sift through when looking for something in particular. That said, it's also entirely normal to want to speed it back up.

Best thing to do is repair the disk permissions as suggested. I would also suggest deleting files you no longer need or use an external disk for those you don't access all the time or even doing a fresh install.

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
There's no reason to worry per se. But leave it on for at least a day and see how the Page out's look. In all likelihood, you could benefit from additional RAM which is probably why you're experiencing some sluggishness.

I have 16GB of RAM as you saw and no Page outs and this Mac has been on for 19 days now.

Thank you, and to yusukeaoki as well! I appreciate the help :)

Is there a way to reduce the inactive RAM to free up space?

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
if it gets hotter than usual maybe there is some dust inside. Last month I opened my boss laptop to upgrade ram and found out that it was full of dust! after cleaning he told me that temperatures were lower....

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
You're welcome. I suggest a RAM upgrade and even an SSD upgrade if you're so inclined. Either or both will help you out greatly. I see no need for an OS reinstall or any software "cleaners."

Thanks for your advice! Just to give you an update, mac has now been on about 8/9 hours and:

Page Ins 1.02GB
Page Outs 446.6mb
40mb free space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.