Cleaning Macbook white Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MewRS, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MewRS macrumors newbie

Hello there!

I bought an Macbook White and it's almost like an Macbook Black...

Some of the keys are getting black and I don't know the best way to clean them...

What do you use to keep your MBW clean?

Thanks in advance! =)

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I used to you baby wipes, they used to work best for the screen and casing.

But if your keys are really black, maybe some sort or spray solvent. I used printer cleaning solvent on my old white keyboard really did the trick.

After you've got it clean, maybe invest in a keyboard skin?

3. james-thescalie macrumors member

W5 wipes :p make sure theyre pretty dry first tho. they should get rid of any muck

4. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

A bottle of meths and a rag will do nicely. Just dampen (not soak) the rag and start cleaning.

This is how I cleaned my ibooks/macbooks for years. And if anyone thinks it will remove the key's lettering they are wrong.

5. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Wow. Careful with all those chemicals! They might cause long term damage to the plastic. The best solution I've found to be pure lemon juice. Put it on a rag and carefully scrub away. I cleaned a white ibook that was totally black with this method. Don't ever put liquid on your computer directly though (pretty obvious). Personally I wouldn't use any solvents or chemicals on it, and avoid expensive cleaning kits. Lemon or a very concentrated vinegar is just as effective and won't damage the plastic nor the environment.

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and compressed air. Use the compressed air blow away the erosion of the magic eraser. Do not use the magic eraser on the shiny bits of the case, unless you do not mind losing it's sheen. Do not use the magic eraser on the LCD.

7. tiartrop macrumors regular

I use facial cleaning toner/make up remover, as suggested by (oddly enough) my uncle. I suppose if that liquid is harmless enough to be put onto people's face it should be harmless for the keyboard too. Well, I managed to remove stubborn stains with it.