Cleaning Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zelnaga, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Hi All,

What do you use to clean all the smudge and grim off your new macbook screen? Not sure which cleaning products to use, and dont want to use excessive force to clean it as the screen is thin.

What products do you all use?

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I use the stuff I use to clean my eyeglasses and the cloth too. Spray it on the cloth and with almost no pressure on the screen, drag the cloth across. I find blowing gently on the screen helps the liquid evaporate faster and reduces the smudge lines.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

These: http://www.frys.com/product/6683994?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and distilled water

Dry ones to clean the screen or general wipe downs, and a dab of distilled water - screen looks brand new, same with the keys. I would never go back to iklear or gimmicky stuff like that, I'd avoid eyeglass cleaner unless it's distilled water/isopropyl

5. MacInTO, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016

MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Eyeglass cleaner is usually distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

I would think eyeglass cleaner is better than anything because eyeglasses lenses are normally made from plastic and have coatings applied to them (anti-glare, UV, etc). These are probably even softer than than Mac displays.

I'll bet the stuff you buy at Best Buy, etc is the same as eyeglass cleaner solutions.

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

This always did the job for me. It cleans the aluminum really nicely. Thankfully I have a huge bottle of the stuff as I clean my glasses a few times a day.

7. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Lightly water damped micro. It's a losing battle guys.

8. ctdw macrumors member

9. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

I've always used Dettol Cleanser spray. Used it on all my macs for 10 years or more.

Mist onto a clean microfibre cloth and carefully wipe over. Returns your mac to new.

10. dnh44 macrumors newbie

95% de-ionised water made using nuclear grade carbon resin. 2.5% IPA, 2.5% EB Glycol Ether. Spray directly on device with a fine misting bottle then wipe. It's amazing.