Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zelnaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hi All,

What do you use to clean all the smudge and grim off your new macbook screen? Not sure which cleaning products to use, and dont want to use excessive force to clean it as the screen is thin.

What products do you all use?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I use the stuff I use to clean my eyeglasses and the cloth too. Spray it on the cloth and with almost no pressure on the screen, drag the cloth across. I find blowing gently on the screen helps the liquid evaporate faster and reduces the smudge lines.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
These: http://www.frys.com/product/6683994?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and distilled water

Dry ones to clean the screen or general wipe downs, and a dab of distilled water - screen looks brand new, same with the keys. I would never go back to iklear or gimmicky stuff like that, I'd avoid eyeglass cleaner unless it's distilled water/isopropyl

Eyeglass cleaner is usually distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

I would think eyeglass cleaner is better than anything because eyeglasses lenses are normally made from plastic and have coatings applied to them (anti-glare, UV, etc). These are probably even softer than than Mac displays.

I'll bet the stuff you buy at Best Buy, etc is the same as eyeglass cleaner solutions.

Last edited:

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I use the stuff I use to clean my eyeglasses and the cloth too. Spray it on the cloth and with almost no pressure on the screen, drag the cloth across. I find blowing gently on the screen helps the liquid evaporate faster and reduces the smudge lines.

This always did the job for me. It cleans the aluminum really nicely. Thankfully I have a huge bottle of the stuff as I clean my glasses a few times a day.

dnh44

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
95% de-ionised water made using nuclear grade carbon resin. 2.5% IPA, 2.5% EB Glycol Ether. Spray directly on device with a fine misting bottle then wipe. It's amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.