Cleaning MBA screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kjmff5, Jul 21, 2012.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Various cleaners are a total waste of money. The very best and least harmful, is a _clean_ microfiber cloth, moistened with water. If you wipe down the display once a week or as needed, that will keep it like new. No worry about scratching, streaking, or spending money needlessly.

Apple sells iClear, a very cleverly marketed form of snake oil that sells to those who "must spend money to feel good".

I've been cleaning Apple Laptop screens for years, believe me the method I've described above will amaze you. No need for any other action.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

5. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

+1 to the microfiber cloth. Works well.

6. soulston macrumors newbie

I don't think they include the cloth anymore - maybe that's why the OP was asking?

7. Nick T. macrumors regular

I've been using microfiber cloths and water on my monitors and glasses for many years .... and never desired better.

If you "must spend money to feel good" .... then try using distilled water instead of tap water to moisten your microfiber cloth .... guaranteed to not leave mineral deposits on your screen.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Thanks for bringing up the distilled water, I've been using it for so long I forgot to mention it.

For all other parts, if something cannot be removed with a microfiber cloth moistened with distilled water, use a second microfiber cloth moistened with denatured alcohol. It is the very best chemical since it doesn't leave a trace of residue.

Finally while we're talking about cleaning, if you have glue or adhesive residue after removing paper or plastic labels & such, on any surface like glass, aluminum, plastic etc. The fastest, easiest & safest choice is to moisten your cloth with WD-40. It works amazingly well.

9. asting macrumors 6502

Bah! Distilled water is for the proletariat. I never let anything less than 4 stage RODI water touch my electronics! I also use it to bathe.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but any drugstore will have a microfiber cloth available for about $5. The antiglare coating on the Air's screen is similar to what is used on glasses. Don't use any harsh chemicals like rubbing alcohol as that will dissolve the coating. Just use the cloth itself, perhaps with a tiny bit of moisture to avoid scratching.

11. forugaurav macrumors newbie

12. stchman macrumors 6502a

I clean all my LCDs with just a soft towel moistened with water.

You will be amazed at how clean your LCD screens stay if you don't touch them or let anyone else touch them.

13. snow blind macrumors regular

Real purists use WFI water ;) haha