Cleaning microfiber cloths in washing machine?

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I have a a bunch of microfiber cloths that I put into the washing machine with regular washing machine soap and now I'm not sure if I should have. I want to make sure the cloths are not abrasive for use on my displays. Any idea if there are any issues with what I did?

Thanks.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
You can purchase large bags of microfiber cloths at Costco, Sam's, and many others for cheap. So you don't have to worry about ruining expense microfiber cloths.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It's been answered, but I'd like to chime in too. I wash mine in the washing machine all the time and I've had no issues with any of them scratching any screens/lenses/devices.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Doesn't matter. Just don't use fabric softener. Adding vinegar may help. You can use microfiber detergent if you want but that's really not necessary.

I want to make sure the cloths are not abrasive for use on my displays.
Detergent won't make it abrasive. Washing it with other stuff that contains grit is what will.

mfram

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Use the "clear" detergents with a minimum of perfumes. Use hot water. Avoid any kind of fabric softeners. And if you use those dryer sheets at all, avoid putting the towels in the dryer. Air dry them.

Fabric softeners will leave a film of stuff on microfiber making them less effective.

Mini125

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
As a keen amateur Detailer, the best way an most used in industry is to wash them on low 40 or so with non bio product. Adding distillers vinegar init he softner draw will remove any reminiscence of soap before final rinse. Hang to dry or if pushed for time wash dry on cool air on delicate setting.