Cleaning Mighty Mouse Scroll Wheel

mothergoose45

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2006
Use about 6 Q tips, (switching them out as they collect grime from in there) with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on them. Roll the ball around with them for 5 minutes or so. Fixed mine back to new.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I've found my method to be fairly effective, but it's very high tech, and not a lot of people will have access to such a device. Plus it's loud.

Having said all of that, try doing what I do:

1) pick up the mouse between the thumb and the forefinger
2) bring the mouse near your face
3) aim your mouth at the ball
4) give a sharp burst of air, and simultaneously think very hard about all the little dirt particles flying out.

:)

Truth be told this works most of the time for me. Canned air works too, but that seems like overkill for me.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I use alcohol wipes to clean it. Turn the mouse upside down and lightly wipe the ball several times. If you do this a few a week the mouse will not get messy.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I do it like the way that MacHiavelli's link does it. But the I want to make clear, in that link, the first ring that person removed does not need to be removed.

pazreal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
The sheet of paper plus mouth bursts of air usually did the trick. However having to do it often eventually led me to abandon the MM for a mx revolution.

Rich Scheidel

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Unplug mouse. Hold USB plug and let mouse dangle. Raise arm over head and start swinging mouse vigorously around and around with great speed. Then let go. Mouse smashes into something hard and self destructs and while it doesn't fix it, does give great personal satisfaction. Buy new mouse.

eastmann

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
Last edited: