Cleaning Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ann-yes, May 3, 2008.

1. ann-yes macrumors newbie

I am having a problem with my mighty mouse. The little scroll wheel doesn't scroll. I suspect it needs cleaning. I've tried to clean it but can't get into it. Is there a way to open the mouse to clean inside? How do you all clean it?
    TIA!

2. ann-yes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the prompt response. I followed those instructions, but I'm still having a problem. Maybe it's not a cleaning issue? The wheel moves, but nothing scrolls... suggestions?

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, the scroll ball is a bit vulnerable to getting jammed up with gunk, and if it's really bad, the cleaning method that Apple recommends won't take care of the problem.

Is your computer still under warranty? If so, call Apple or take the mouse to an Apple store. They should exchange it for you.

If it's out of warranty, you can try dismantling your mighty mouse and cleaning the ball's sensors directly.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Take a damp, not wet, lint free cloth. Place it on a hard surface. Turn the MM upside-down and roll the ball vigorously on the cloth for 10-15 seconds in various directions.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If a damp lint free cloth with water does not work, then maybe try the same technique with a mild cleaner.

6. JL7 macrumors member

I have had success using canned air. I hold the MM upside down and roll the scroll ball around while blowing in the canned air. worth a try:cool:

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

1:1 parts tap water and rubbing alcohol, dampen a microfiber lens cloth (or comparable) & press down on the scroll ball directly. Roll around until it moves freely. It is best to do this prophylactically before a problem occurs, or about once a month.
    Note: Let the mouse dry for a few minutes before plugging it back in.

8. ann-yes thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I'll try those suggestions. Don't have a Mac store locally, so hope I can get that resolved by myself.

9. wilfried macrumors member

Criminy, I wish they made the Mighty Mouse easy to open, given how easily it gets gummed up. The instructions I've found on the web are absurdly complicated for what ought to be a trivial process of cleaning out the gunk, as one had to do often enough with the old time trackball mice. I'm on my third one since November, and in each case, the track ball stopped working, and no amount of cleaning, rolling, jiggling, banging, etc. would get them started again. The Apple store replaced them under warranty, but nevertheless it's awfully tiresome. As long as they keep replacing 'em, I'll keep taking 'em back. They'd save themselves a lot of money if they came up with a design that didn't require replacing the whole darn thing every two months. I just had a scare with the latest one when it stopped scrolling up. A damp microfiber cloth did the trick, but we'll see how long that lasts.