Cleaning my Apple Wired Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MACAPALOOZA, Jun 3, 2011.

1. MACAPALOOZA macrumors member

I have a wired apple keyboard with the white keys and numeric keypad. I have had this keyboard for a little under a year now, but I am ALWAYS using this. Some of my keys are kind of dirty and some of those few are very apparent (ex. arrow keys, A,S,D,W for gaming, and the return and spacebar). If anyone has any advice on how to do this, that would be extremely helpful. I would really like to clean my keyboard without removing the keys if possible.

P.S. If anyone wants to be my friend, please add me as a friend.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Take a damp wash cloth and rub off the dirty keys...

3. greg0rn macrumors member

I use 1" paint brush dumped in lightly soapy water (dish soap), then spinned to remove excess liquid. Brush horizontally, then vertically, then repeat. Seems to work well for me this way.

4. MACAPALOOZA thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much. That is a very good idea. I will definitely try that tonight when I get home to my keyboard.

5. keithakola macrumors newbie

Rubbing Alcohol

I use basic rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab on my white macbook.... works like magic!

6. MACAPALOOZA thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. My friend suggested nail polish remover, but I wasn't sure what that would do. I will remember your suggestion.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Your friend sounds like an idiot...don't let acetone (np remover) near plastics

8. mactouros macrumors member

The best thing I used was a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and a dry absorbent cloth.

Make sure to get out enough water so the foam sponge won't drip when wiping lightly across the keyboard. I actually pressed the dry Magic Eraser onto a damp sponge to moisten it to make sure I didn't wet it too much. For every pass or two across the keyboard I followed over with the dry cloth. It's slightly abrasive, but much much less abrasive than toothpaste which also works.

9. Annerz macrumors regular