Cleaning My Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackosx, Apr 15, 2008.

1. blackosx macrumors member

Hello, i just wanted to know what you guys use in order to clean your macbook pro..like the metal surface? cause i dropped some fries (dont ask) on the left side of the pad area yesterday, on the metal surface...what do you guys recommend? before i start cleaning it with windex or some other chemical that might leave an even bigger stain.

Thanx! :)

2. winty03 macrumors regular

3. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I got both the cleaning liquid as well as the cleaning cloth (which also goes over the keyboard to prevent oil transfer to the screen) from Radtech:

http://www.radtech.us/products/OmniCleanz.aspx

I've been really happy with it, seems to do a great job cleaning everything. They also state that "OmniCleanz is 100% Bio, environmental and child safe" which is a plus as well.

4. blackosx thread starter macrumors member

i read the iklear cleans the screen and the whole laptop itself. Is this is the same with omni cleanz as well?

Thanx

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

For the aluminum, warm water and a soft towel. If needed warm water with a tiny bit of hand soap, followed by a wipe with warm water only. For the screen, something like iKlear or eyeglass cleaner you can find in eyeglass stores.

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

Microfiber cloth, and water. its the least abrasive (unless you do not clean the microfiber cloth).

7. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, why buy iKlear or something like that when water does the job fine? This is metal! Water just wipes everything away. As for the screen, I just use eyeglass wipes. Works fine.

8. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

You can use iKlear on the screen...I feel it would take a lot of eyeglass wipes (don't really know what these are) to clean a 15/17" screen.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

11. blackosx thread starter macrumors member

i just ordered the one from Radtech with the cloth. Does the same thing, maybe better and i paid $17 including shipping, for a 4oz bottle! The iklear was the same price but for a smaller bottle.

If youre ordering from Radtech, i used this promo code: RTPROMO1

You get 15% off with that, good thing i searched for it before placing my order. :)

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I stay away from the pre-packaged cleaning solutions. They are way too expensive. I use plain isopropyl alcohol diluted with water to a 50% solution. That works better than anything else I've ever used. I just use my solution in a small spray bottle with a microfiber cloth.

13. None Such macrumors 6502

I got iKlear kit and loved it. Great for cleaning the screen and whole thing. Just don't use it on the trackpad. and wipe from the top down on the screen not in circular motions. I didn't mind spending $19.99 on it to clean my $2,800+ Macbook pro. Plus I use it a lot(3-4 times a weeks) because my wife and son now use my mbp now. And someone gets fingerprints all over it and sneezes. And there's constantly some kind of something on it. So it was worth it to me for how much i have to use it and or peace of mind knowing that it wouldn't harm my mbp.

14. blackosx thread starter macrumors member

yea i cant wait to clean my screen, havent cleaned it for 2 weeks now. Theirs a lil dust on the screen for sure, and a couple of fingerprints already.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

16. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I used to us 50/50 Isopropyl alcohol and water but read that it *could* degrade the screen's surface, so I haven't used it since. I've been happy with Radtech's solution, and it also works wonders on other electronics as well, like camera lenses.

17. operator207 macrumors 6502

Same here, heard alcohol can dry out the screen. I never use it unless I get something sticky on the keyboard or metal itself. The screen is water only for me.