Cleaning my MBP Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kevster89, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I have an early-2008 MacBook Pro and need to clean my screen. What's the best way to do this? I have eyeglass lens cleaning cloths and it says that they can be used to clean computer screens.. not sure if this is a good idea.

What do y'all use to clean your MBP screens? Does everyone just use like a lightly moistened rag and water... or maybe an alcohol solvent?

Thanks.

Kevin

2. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

I find the only thing that can get tough grease off a screen gently is using a wet paper towel with a small amount Bon Ami on it (a calcium based power abrasive). Make's my wife's glossy screen look like it just left the factory and its 3 years old.

3. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I use iKlear and the microfiber cloth supplied with it. I would NOT use a paper towel, or an abrasive cleaner. The cloth supplied with your MBP, and a light amount of water should work just fine.

4. chrisi29 macrumors member

Am I the only one whose screen gets marks after I put water on it with the supplied cloth?? It looks as if the water got hard and acts like dirt xD

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Since I'm too cheap to pay $20 for a tiny bottle of iKlear, the next best thing is just water + microfiber.
    I don't use the cloth that apple supplied, but rather a more dense microfiber cloth I bought from officemax ($3.99). Anyway, I always wash out my cloth before starting, using a bit of soap to be sure there are no particles that could scratch the screen. Rinse it very good then wring until it is as dry as possible.

**Be sure your cloth is only DAMP, not wet**

Begin cleaning the screen with a side to side motion making sure not to leave any droplets on it (this is what causes watermarks). Repeat the side to side wiping until there are no more fingerprints or greasy marks.
    I do this about twice a month and it keeps my screen looking like new and I save myself the trouble and $ of ordering iklear ;)