Cleaning my new 13" cMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doubledee, Jul 9, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

I would like to install a Palm Rest and an Anti-Glare FIlm to my new 13" cMBP, but since I couldn't do that from the get-go, things are already getting dirty (e.g. grease from my hands, dust, etc.)

What is the best and safest way to clean...

- The Display?

- The Touch Pad and Palm Rest?

Since the Display and Touch Pad are supposedly glass, it would seem that a damp - slightly soapy - cloth would work best. (I'm not a big fan of using chemicals...)

And for the Palm Rest - which is aluminum - I would think a similar approach would work. (Being certain to not get any liquid in between the cracks of the Touch Pad or Keys!!)

I want things in "virgin" condition before I start sticking things onto the Display and Palm Rest.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I always use alcohol wipes on mine. They do an excellent job of cleaning and no drying necessary since alcohol evaporates quickly.

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Sounds kind of harsh - even for glass and aluminum.

(My guess is that while the display is glass, it may have a special coating on it that chemicals - even alcohol - could damage...)

How about good ol' hot soapy water to dampen a soft rag instead?

Debbie

4. Sonnestah macrumors regular

Alcohol cleans just fine, never had any problem. Macbooks are not this sensitive :p

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Alcohol wipes are pretty weak as far as alcohol is concerned(I wouldn't use 91% on it). No harm done, and I've had mine for pretty much 4 years.

I wouldn't get soap within 3 feet of my Mac. Soapy water will find its way into the grooves where you can't completely soak it up(the edges of the trackpad for instance), and then the water evaporates and leaves soap residue behind... Yuk.

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

LOL, I use Windex, have been for close to 20 years now

7. Sonnestah macrumors regular

Thats an old macbook you've got there :eek::p

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I agree wth this, Ive used windex on my macbook and both the screen and aluminum parts of the macbook. I would recommend spraying the windex onto a cleaning cloth and then wiping it. Dont spray the computer directly because you might get some windex and places you dont want to.

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

That would include PowerBook 165 I took to college :p..My MBP is only 4 years old :D

11. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

iKlear. Makes it look brand new every time I clean it.