Cleaning New Mac Keyboards

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 103734, Sep 30, 2007.

1. 103734 Guest

Well me and my friend were working on my car and we had oil and other car crap on our hands and we came in washed our hands and I watched TV and he played some counter strike, well the thing is I dont think he cleaned his hands very good and now my control, wasd, and tab keys are pretty dirty.

Whats the best way to clean these? I looked on google but all the guides are for the old keyboards, whats the best thing to use?

2. scott1785 macrumors newbie

Since its motor oil you probably would want to use something like greased lighting etc (try rubbing alcohol first though as it should get the job done and evaporates faster)...but it has to be a controlled application:

- make sure keyboard is unplugged

- LIGHTLY DAMPEN A paper towel with only enough solvent to apply to top of key (don't spray solvent directly onto keyboard).

- gently rub the surface of the key without pressing down too hard (to ensure that no liquid runs down the sides of the key and into the components underneath).

if any liquid does run down the side of the key wait a good two hours or more before plugging the keyboard back into the USB slot (to allow liquid to evaporate).

Hope this has been helpful...good luck!!! (and remember to be as light handed as possible)

3. paulo9TWS macrumors newbie

I'd look into the Iskin....even for the everyday regular user....you would be amazed at what builds up on it after only a week.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I wipe down my keyboards and mice everyday with a disinfecting wipe (like a Pampers wipe). Should be enough to remove any dirt.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I use iKlear to clean all of my gadgets and electronics. It works beautifully

6. Chromako macrumors member

Another almost identical solvent to iClear (and much cheaper) is the Isopropanol you find in drug stores. It's generally quite mild but is great for cleaning stuff. It's supposed to be quite safe for use on LCD's as well though don't quote me on it. It is, however, what I use for mine... And it's the main ingredient in most optical cleaners. Methanol is supposedly better but it's really toxic and hard to find in a somewhat pure form. :)

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would say iKlear should work unless its really greasy.

8. paulo9TWS macrumors newbie

Use iKlear....its non static and ammonia free....its the best....just about everything else is too harsh. Isoproponol is alcohol based and that it still pretty harsh....for how much you spend on a mac....you might as well spend the little extra to keep everything on point.