Cleaning Optical Drive with canned air?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ascendant, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ascendant macrumors newbie

Hey, sorry to post a new thread, but I couldn't find any that addressed this.
    My (not unibody) macbook is getting a bit old, I have had it for two and a half years, and the optical drive is not reading some disks. I have had some luck with burned CDs, which are usually read without a problem. However, movie and install disks take a little while to be recognized, at which point the optical drive just makes a grinding noise while spinning, and is unable to read them, or recognize that a disk is in. The icon never loads, and I have to use Terminal to eject them. It doesn't scratch the disks.

I figured that since the macbook is getting older, and is still able to read some disks some of the time, it might just be caked on gunk and dust from normal use. In which case, how do I go about cleaning it? Is the drive too delicate for me to spray compressed air in the optical drive? Should I try a "cleaner" cd to wipe out the dust? Is the drive just corrupted?

Anyway, thanks for giving this a look, because I have no idea how to fix it, or if what I do will just be worse. Thanks!

2. samfoster25 macrumors newbie

Hey! I've had my drive cleaned before by apple! Just take it to your closest store and they'll bang a load of compressed air through it for free! hope I helped!

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties