Cleaning out iTunes Library Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PkennethV, Aug 8, 2007.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

When you delete a song in iTunes, you are asked if you want to move the file to the trash or keep the file in the iTunes library folder. Is there a way to delete all the songs in the folder that are not in iTunes anymore (besides going through the folder and finding the songs manualy, which I have no way of remembering which are in iTunes).

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Wipe the library clean (not the files, but the listings in iTunes), reimport everything (doesn't take long and I have 400GB in my library), then remove everything you don't want and do choose to delete the files this time.

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If you have the space you can Consolidate your library to a new location... this will just move the files listed in iTunes. Then delete your original library and move the consolidated files back to their original location.

4. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! That sounds great! Thank you!

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Or just tell iTunes to go back into your music folder and re-add everything. Then sort the library by date, and delete everything added today.

6. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

To do that would I do File>Add to Library? Or should I use the Import option?