Cleaning out my Downloads folder in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I'm still new to Apple and this is no doubt a noob question, but here goes:
    In my Downloads folder in Finder, I have several pictures that I know I can get rid of while still retaining them where I put them in iPhoto (correct?), but apps I have downloaded, such as Perian and VLC have .dmg files in there as well. I have installed the apps, so can I trash their .dmg files in Finder without messing up the apps themselves? I also have Backup_3.1.2.dmg in there as well as Bento_1.0v2_ESD.dmg.
    Can these be dragged to the trash without messing up the associated application? Thanks for any help/advice.
    Morod

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't think it should be a problem - you should be fine. :)

4. mr.light macrumors 6502

Yes. If they have been installed you don't need these files. Be sure though that you are not running the program from a disk image (I have a friend who does this constantly with MSN - ends up ejecting the disk image and thus the program as well)

5. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the help/advice, everyone! They are now officially trashed. :) Sorry to trouble you, but I'm still trying to get out of the M$ mindset that everything has to harder than it looks.
    As an aside, can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction to find out, what .dmg stands for?
    Morod

6. seabass1213 macrumors newbie

Yeah, you can totally do that, except dont delete them from iphoto itself because that can delete it from your computer.