Cleaning ports on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmy2469, May 31, 2012.

1. jmy2469 macrumors member

I have a 2011 MBP, 17" model. Just wanted to see what the best way is to keep your charging port,usb ports, thunderbolt port,and is there a way that you can clean your headphone port?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Don't insert anything that doesn't belong into the ports and you'll be fine. No need to clean them.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

4. jmy2469 thread starter macrumors member

5. goRoostr macrumors member

After a lot of use the ports can get really dirty, to the point where I have had Macbooks not taking a charge/powering on because the MagSafe connector had crud in it. Rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush work great.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Try getting peanut butter out of the ethernet port! Man, is that hard...

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can also use an old toothbrush to get some of the stuff that's really stuck.

8. avramd macrumors newbie

This is incorrect information.

The thunderbolt port as well as the new lightning port on iOS devices have the same problem: As with all ports, dust and lint that are always floating around in the air and coming off of your clothes tend to settle in there.

Unlike looser fitting ports like USB, these ports are so tight that they compact dust and lint. Over time it builds up, and it is impacted - jammed in there like cement. Compressed air won't get it out.

I've had to take mine to the Apple store. They have tools that are just the right size, shape and hardness to pick out the impacted debris without damaging the ports themselves. I believe they may also have illuminated high-power magnifying glasses so they can see into the corners. The thunderbolt port in particular is tough because it has a tab in it, and there is less than 1mm clearance between it's narrow edges and the side of the port.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I just blow it with air duster.
    It blows away pretty much every dust in there.
    If you are concerned with the small ones, use like cotton swab or something.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr