Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaxRady, Jan 11, 2008.

1. MaxRady macrumors member

Hey everyone,

Got a cleaning question for you. I did a search on what to use to keep my MacBook (its the matte black one) clean and it looks like the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works for the keyboard and palm rest. My question is, should i use it damp, or dry? I just used it dry and it worked a little but it seems like dampness might ruin something. Also, is it safe to use on the track pad? Thank you!

Max

2. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Yes, it is wise to dampen the eraser a little bit and it is ok to use it on the trackpad, casing, and keyboard, just as long as you disconnect the computer from a power source AND turn the computer off. And just to be safe, you might want to take out the battery. Can't be too careful.

When you dampen the eraser, do it enough so that the moisture will transfer to the casing, but not enough so that it drips, or is near dripping.

Good luck...

3. MaxRady thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks, i would have never thought to take the battery out but you are right, you can never be too safe. Thanks alot!

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

The Magic Eraser works best with water. Just don't use too much. I usually just whip it under the faucet really quick and then shake out any excess water, leaving the eraser somewhat damp.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I am wondering the same exact thing here, as I want to clean my blackbook regularly.

Planning on going out to the store in a few to pick up magic erasers. These won't scratch anything at all, and are safe for the screen??

All I am cleaning off is the "grease" from fingerprints and whatnot all over the casing. The magic eraser is good for these, or would just water and a soft cloth be fine? Do all those that have replied own black macbooks, or is this just speculation?