Cleaning retina display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by telitsa, Nov 27, 2013.

1. telitsa, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

telitsa macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've bought a rMBP and I'm new to Apple computers in general.
    I was wondering, how do you clean the display? Is there any difference with other screens?
    Why do I feel like it needs cleaning almost every day?
    Is a screen protector a good idea to use?
    Thanks!

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

clean it with luke warm water , do not use cleaning solutions as they scratch the screen.

apply it to the cloth first , then wipe the screen down.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I only clean it when it has fingerprints on it. You don't need a screen protector like iPhones do.

4. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Typical for plastic screens - use a microfiber cloth, don't press too hard. If you need some assistance, a small bit of water on a small part of the cloth, the polish clean with the dry part. Don't leave a keyboard cover on when you close the lid due to the little clearance between keyboard and screen (immediate oil transfer).

The trick is to not pay attention to it when the screen is off. You don't notice half of it while the display is on. The less you touch it, the better.

5. telitsa thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true! It's amazing how it looks when it's off! I guess I should start with this tip! :p

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. nealh macrumors 6502

8. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

9. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

I'm pretty sure it's not a plastic screen. It may sound like one when you tap it but try tapping the screen on your iPad or iPhone and it'll make the same sound (kinda plasticky thud). The screen on the rMBP is either Gorilla Glass or something very similar.

While Apple removed the layer of glass in front of the LCD with the rMBP (which confuses a lot of people) but if you read the official description (from Apple), you'll find that entire LCD uses just a single layer of glass instead of the sandwich construction on the older TN panels:

[​IMG]

10. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

My screen picks up the oil on the keys and I don't have a screen or key protector. Is this not common and normal?

11. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Can I use this with my rMbP?

Screen Cleaner KIT + Fine Microfiber Towel - All Natural - MADE I... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00846UAZM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_v9VLsb00XS0MP

12. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

13. Bilalo macrumors 6502

14. leman macrumors 604

Miicrofiber cloth and a very slight amout of water. The screen is just glass. No need to waste money on cleaning solutions.

15. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Don't use cleaners with alcohol in them. It can effect plastics.

I used the same alcohol free cleaner that I use on my glasses with a microfiber cloth about once a month, or when ever I find something on the glass.

16. telitsa thread starter macrumors newbie

In the Apple store they told me that a cloth should be fine. I think I'll stick to that for now.
    (for some reason I'm not that inclined to use any liquid -even water- on the screen)

17. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I thought the same thing, but I have seen posts where people gouge and scratch the screen. Also, haven't read much on cracked screens like the original macbook pro.
    Moot point I guess - I'll continue to treat it like plastic just in case. :)

----------

I imagine if you put pressure on the backside of the screen while closed, it can flex and touch the keys? Tight tolerances in a mass-produced product won't always be perfect. Maybe wipe down the keyboard when you shut down...

18. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I use microfiber with a solution I bought to clean the screens of my LCD TV displays home.

----------

Really???? I would not do that

19. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

the included cleaning cloth should be enough to clean the screen with

20. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

(discovers there's a cleaning cloth in the box) - thanks!

21. telitsa thread starter macrumors newbie

22. iamfredrik macrumors member

I have the iKlear cleaning kit, but it leaves visible streaks on my rmbp screen. Is there any way to get the screen to look like new?