Cleaning rMBP keyboard and body with screen cleaner?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zjhehe, Oct 11, 2015.

1. zjhehe macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got my MacBook Pro Retina recently and I'm hoping to care for it a bit differently than what I did with my HP laptop. I used to use rubbing alcohol to give the keyboard and body a full clean and I'm experiencing some of the powdered residue coming off from the keys. I guess I use it too much or such, but I'm hoping to avoid it with this Mac.

My screen cleaner is alcohol and amonia free. Is it possible to use a screen cleaner to also clean my keyboard? My keys tend to get a bit sticky because I have sweaty hands. Naturally I would want to give the body of the Mac and keyboard a wipe down with something other than just water. Is a screen cleaner safe for doing so or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

2. m1key macrumors member

just use baby wipes. work like a charm, especially when your "hands get really sweaty" ;););)

ps. uppercase clear see-thru keyboard cover from amazon = $$$$$$

3. zjhehe thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume the benefit of baby wipes is that they don't contain any harsh chemicals, but still hold some disinfectant/cleaning qualities then?

I really want to avoid my keys powdering up from using strong chemicals again.

4. jf1450 macrumors regular

Read what Apple recommends. Use anything but a lightly water dampened microfiber cloth at your own risk.

Jeff

5. zjhehe thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh man, this looks pretty good. I've been looking for something like this that can handle both the screen and the keyboard itself.

6. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

Take from hard earned experience.

Apple the cleaner to the cloth THEN wipe the keyboard. If you spray the keyboard directly, even a minor spray can and will render the keyboard useless.

7. zjhehe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I actually do that already. My concern was just if the screen cleaner leaves some kind of residue, then my keyboard would be sticky etc. when I'm typing. That's what I mainly wanted to clear up, but I guess I'm now an adult grown man buying baby wipes at Walmart and telling the cashier "no kids" O_O

8. jf1450 macrumors regular