Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyScott

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Hello,

As the title says. What is best way to clean it? Also is there anyways to prevent the key from touching the screen?

Cheers,
Scott

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Use a microfiber cloth and solution used for cleaning LCD's. I use the monster cleaning stuff, I have an older MBP with no glass, but, I have an iPod touch that I use it with and cleans it well.

As far as the keys, you can't adjust them. You're not the only one with that problem though.

isaki87

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
Use a microfiber cloth and solution used for cleaning LCD's. I use the monster cleaning stuff, I have an older MBP with no glass, but, I have an iPod touch that I use it with and cleans it well.

As far as the keys, you can't adjust them. You're not the only one with that problem though.

+1 for the Monster cleaning solution.

CrazyScott

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
ok. yea the keys don't bug me at all just thought i would ask. As far as the monster stuff goes where can i get that. Does the apple store carry it? I searched but didn't find anything so i am assuming no.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
It's just glass so you can use a wide range of products to clean it. You don't really have to worry about it like you would a bare LCD. I use iKlear on almost everything but I never tried it on the unibody MBP when I had it. I'd probably use it on the 17" when I get it.

jbussiere

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
IKlear

Iklear works great. But if you get the big pack, don't use the travel wipes, it puts too much liquid on the screen and makes it too hard to wipe. I use the spray and the the big cloth...it works wonders! Screen is clear as day. Also, it works great on the aluminum as well.

isaki87

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
ok. yea the keys don't bug me at all just thought i would ask. As far as the monster stuff goes where can i get that. Does the apple store carry it? I searched but didn't find anything so i am assuming no.

Its called Monster Screen Clean

You can get that stuff at Best Buy or amazon.com. At Best Buy, I've found them in the home theater department.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
ebay

buy.com is selling it through ebay.

and i'd stay away from buying non-factory sealed cleaners. whose to say that they don't use distilled water.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
It's not a traditional LCD screen ... its glass. Whats the big deal? You shouldn't need to buy anything special.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
as it is glass I use window cleaner... it does the job nicely and streak free.... i lso clean the rest of the notebook iwth it while i am at it - no ill affects as of yet...

go on ... flame me ...

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
no need to flame you, you'll have the sinking feeling of regret a year or so down the line.

no need to kick a brit while their down. (i'm just playing around. I didn't mean to insult your country)

I actually use walmart eyeglass cleaner with free refills for life. (i've gotten free refills for the past 8 years, but now the pump mechanism has worn out)
and it only cost me $3

MacbookWoo

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, Fl
+1 for the Monster cleaning solution.

Monster Clean A+

I have been using this for about 4 months and I just recently purchased my brand new MBP Unibody and I have to say that it really works wonders on not only the screen but the aluminum as well. I highly recommend this product.

Yes, It may be a little bit pricey but you will find more ways than 1 around your house. I am currently using it on all of my electronics such as all of my TV's we have 3 HD's and I use them on all of them I also use them on my desktop flat screen as well so if your looking to use the best I really recommend this product. You can buy it at any BestBuy and it also comes with the microfiber tower which is nice as well, Its a blue bottle and a blue rag.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
I use the cloth that comes with it, no need for anything else, unless your getting bodily fluids on it.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I personally use iKlear. It's what they use at the apple store and it works great.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I use water and vinegar or store brand Windex for quick defingerpriniting.

I use the cloth that comes with it, no need for anything else, unless your getting bodily fluids on it.

You use it dry? Dry never gets the job done for me.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I use iKlear for my MBP, TV, and LCD for my desktop.

It also makes the plastic on my LCD (Bezel/stand) feel really nice and smooth/slippery.

Love the stuff

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
i use diluted dishwashing soap (dawn) and water on keyboard and screen, microfiber cloth to dry. it removes the oily stains on the keys. no problems.

jpur

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
There are Five key principles to follow while cleaning your screen:

1.) Make sure you use a cloth that will not scratch your screen. A microfiber cloth or camera lens tissue paper work really well. If you're using a cloth, make sure that it is clean of any dirt or debris before cleaning.

2.) TURN OFF YOUR MACHINE.

3.) Use a very light amount of a fast evaporating liquid. Water works fine. A commercial cleaning solution like Monster or iKlear works fine. Windex could work, but has extra chemicals that you don't need. I actually use rubbing alcohol because it evaporates faster than water.

4.) Put your cleaning solution on your cloth. Do NOT spray something on your machine. This damp cloth is fine to clean the screen and keys.

5.) Wipe off any excess liquid and give your machine a couple of minutes before turning it back on.

SMC1991

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
I'd stay away from using any liquids as much as you can.

Wiping with the Microfiber cloth should do the trick most of the time.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Yep, not even having to use much of the solution you can just use the microfibre cloth to scrub the screen without need to use the liquid.
esp considering its glass, it shouldnt make too much of a different.

also if you get an iklear solution, it has plenty of microfibre cloths that come with it, you can just use one when not inuse to lay across the keys and keep it from touching the glass.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Monster Clean A+

I have been using this for about 4 months and I just recently purchased my brand new MBP Unibody and I have to say that it really works wonders on not only the screen but the aluminum as well. I highly recommend this product.

Yes, It may be a little bit pricey but you will find more ways than 1 around your house. I am currently using it on all of my electronics such as all of my TV's we have 3 HD's and I use them on all of them I also use them on my desktop flat screen as well so if your looking to use the best I really recommend this product. You can buy it at any BestBuy and it also comes with the microfiber tower which is nice as well, Its a blue bottle and a blue rag.

I just purchased and used the Monster ScreenCleaner and this stuff is really good. I sprayed some (very little actually) on the cloth they provided and gave it a wipe. It got rid of all of those little spots / smudges / etc. very quickly. Used it on both my 24" LED and my 13" MB Uni... very happy..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.