Cleaning Screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frozzie, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Frozzie macrumors regular

Had MBP for 3 weeks, I have been using just dry tissue as I didn't have any liquids like distilled water (in UK all tap water is so scaly it leaves so much smudge afterwards) as I didn't know which one to use.

Apple support says clean with liquid, but it doesn't mention what the consequences of not using liquid and just using dry medium. I was recently told cleaning with just dry medium can scratch the screen as the dust can act as particle... But then I wasn't thinking of this because on some TVs the manual for cleaning its screen was not to use any liquid whatsoever. (e.g. page 6 of document here for my TV http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200907/20090707111323906/BN59-00910C-01Eng.pdf)

Is this due to difference between different materials for screens of TV and glass MBP? Is Glass screen on MBP easily scratched if you didn't use liquid?

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i use the eye glass cleaner that came with my eyeglasses.
    works on those delicate thing,s why not the macbook?

3. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Use a wet tissue ( wipes ) and then clean it afterwards with tissue, i tried cleaning my last MBP with dry tissue and it did get scratched. Just try wetting the screen first and then use tissue to dry it out atleast then the tissue is damp and the smudge will dry out.

4. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

OP could fill a little spray bottle with distilled water and use that with a microfiber cloth for cleaning his screen.

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

OmniCleanz from RadTech and a microfiber cloth. It's non-conductible so No Worries using it on electronic devices. I've used it for years to clean computers, displays, cameras/lenses and eyeglasses. It removes dirt and oils that water cannot.

The best deal is the larger bottle bundled with a microfiber cloth. I use the 1 ounce bottles for traveling. I use OmniCleanz almost every day and a large bottle lasts for over a year.

6. Frozzie thread starter macrumors regular

Where can I find distilled water in the UK? Is it chemists/pharmacy that sell them? Or do groceries find them? Was thinking of bottle water but then they are minerals so they aren't distilled...

7. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I use Sprayway Glass Cleaner on a micro-fiber towel... never had any problems over 4+ years.

8. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

All my Mac laptops are matte screens so I try to avoid the strong stuff like glass cleaners. Instead I simply use warm water (with a little white vinegar) and two microfiber cloths (one for wiping wet and one for drying) - been doing it since my very first laptop, a Powerbook 170 and haven't encountered any problems yet.

I also tried iKlear which is a great product but a bit pricy.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

For years I've been using the same bottle of glass cleaner without Ammonia and a plain cotton kitchen towel. (Screen, keyboard, the whole thing).

10. torid110 macrumors regular

11. Frozzie thread starter macrumors regular

Just chose to stick with apple cloth that came with the MBP and use mineral water to clean it. To be honest, I know I won't be using my MBP for life, only for maximum 10 years of use from now (until 2021), and once I get 2021 MBP I will be selling it so no longer it is my problem.

I also know that as far as I handle with good care few micro scratches shouldn't affect resale value in that time by which should have plummeted to few cents :D

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The best, most effective and least invasive is a moist microfiber cloth. Follow with one that is dry. Moistened with any water is fine since it only takes a few drops of water, it's the moist cloth that lifts the dust and debris.

The key to easy screen cleaning, is to keep it clean every few days with a dry microfiber. If you let it go till it's really dirty you are making it much harder to clean & maintain.

NEVER use any paper product like tissues, paper towel, etc. (made from wood) they will certainly scratch it.

As far as chemical cleaners they're all a waste of money, unless you like to believe their special & worth your hard earned money.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Glasses cleaner works the best on glass and works pretty well on pre glass screens. Plus, it's usually free at the optometrist's.

Water and a microfiber cloth will work but it'll take longer and you're more likely to end up causing micro scratches.

Anything like iKlear or the like made specifically for electronics is a rip off. It's just glasses cleaner in a nicely marketed bottle and an outrageously marked up price.

14. tofferster macrumors newbie

I use rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth. You only have to use a very small amount of the rubbing alcohol and it doesn't leave any streaks or residue behind.

15. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

You're gonna sell a 10 year old laptop?

16. CptAwesome macrumors member

17. Frozzie thread starter macrumors regular

Might be a collector's item in 30 years time who knows? ;)

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Try using regular eyeglass cleaner on an electronic device and you take the risk of shorting the device. Cleaners such as OmniCleanz are non-conductible so they are safe to use on any powered device.

A large bottle of OmniCleanz http://www.radtech.us/products/omnicleanz.aspx costs only $14.95. I use it nearly every day and 8 ounces lasts over a year, so I don't consider it to be expensive, while repairing/replacing a device can be very expensive!

19. leez macrumors regular

leez

[​IMG]

Use this. Can be found in Apple Store. Cleans everything, screen and your Mac keyboard etc. Highly recommended.