Cleaning Smell from Black Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shoebobs, Mar 2, 2013.

1. shoebobs macrumors regular

I recently acquired an old and dirty black macbook. I have taken it apart, removed all components and cleaned them thoroughly before reassembling with upgrades.

The one issue is that the keyboard has a terrible smell, like bad body odor. I have wiped it multiple times with rubbing alcohol, but the smell is still there. Does anybody have suggestions for cleaning products that would be safe for the upper casing/keyboard that is effective at removing odors?

Thanks

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

That brings up horrible disgusting images...
    I really don't know, I did the same thing you have, took the laptop all apart and cleaned it with alcohol, lysol and compressed air, I never had any smell though.

I've heard that ozone deodorizers are the industrial standard, not sure where one might get that stuff though.

3. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

Your best bet....

..possibly is picking up a good condition replacement top case from fleabay or other.

While ozone machines work quite well for some things, they oxidize & possibly can cause harm to plastic & rubber compounds. (A rubber grip of a DSLR can be turned to a sticky mess fairly quick.)

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you can leave the top case in a well-ventilated area (i.e. outdoors) with a fan pointing at it for a couple of days, that should do the trick.

Otherwise, as said, best bet is just to get a new top case which has the added benefit of not having to touch whatever caused the bad smell in the first place!

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Put it together with a box worth of those ridiculously strong smelling dryer sheets with odor neutralizer in a bag for some days if the fresh air thing doesn't work out and you don't want to swap out that disgusting top case for a new one.