Cleaning Solutions for Apple Products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ash9414, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum but here goes:

For a while I've been looking at a couple of cleaning products that I could use to remove any dust and/or smears from my MacBook screen, my Cinema Display, my iPhone and potentially other Mac peripherals such as the Magic Mouse.

I've come across iKlear, which seems to come in a number of different packages, and there's so many I don't know which to choose! So, if possible, will you be able to give your experiences with this product and which package you would recommend for me to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

2. emac82 macrumors 6502

This is what I use on all my stuff, I bought it about 6-7 years ago and it's still half full...

[​IMG]

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iKlear is overpriced. Any mild alcohol based cleaner should work. I use whatever I find at home, window cleaner has worked well on screens (assuming it's glossy).

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I've come across iKlear, which seems to come in a number of different packages, and there's so many I don't know which to choose!

I use iKlear, and Yes, it can be considered overpriced but a kit may last a long time depending on how often you use it - I use the same kit I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. It comes in 3 different size kits, I have the middle sized kit which included several microfiber cloth packaged cleaning wipes and a single spray bottle. I spray onto one of the larger microfiber cloths then wipe the screen or keyboard...

Sure there are less expensive solutions that will work just as well but if you have trouble finding them and have an Apple store near you then perhaps it is worth getting your first kit from them. It works very well.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I use plain water for daily cleaning of my Apple stuff. Only once in a LONG while did I apply some cleaning solutions.

6. lc25 macrumors 6502

iKlear has never let me down and always does a good job.

7. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your replies. Does anyone know the difference between iKlear and Klear Screen?

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Very true. Go down to Staples or your local stationery supply store and buy a whole bottle of Screen Cleaner for $3. Slightly more if you want the lint free cloth. There is nothing special about iKlear.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just dampen a clean cotton cloth with 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alchohol then dry with a clean cloth. Most of those fancy cleaning wipes are just soaked in rubbing alchohol.

Note: Do not use the 90% it is too strong and can potentially damage the finish.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Same stuff I use. Great for the TV screen; MBP screen, keyboard, trackpad; and iPhone.

I bought it before I read about using 70% isopropyl alcohol. I'm happy with it, and I also use so little the bottle will last forever.

11. James Godfrey macrumors regular

Wipe over the device or mac with a damp lint free cloth
    then wipe over it with a dry one

Comes up brilliant no risk of removing protective coating... and best of all only costs about a £1 for the two cloths.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Two brands for the same stuff.

FWIW iKlear is no longer for sale via Apple (at least online and in the stores near me). They now push Bausch+Lomb clens and TeraGlove.

EDIT: a recent, related, thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1316177

B

13. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Unless you've left your computer in a pigpen, just a little water on a microfiber towel is all you need.