Cleaning the 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thewizzy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. thewizzy macrumors member

My 4G screen was touching a bunch of money, and I would like to clean it.

How can I go about doing this without damaging the phone?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A damp, almost dry, paper towel it what I use to clean my 3Gs.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not even going to ask, but microfiber works best, followed by soft cloth, then, I guess(?) paper towels. Getting the material a little damp is a good idea as well, you can dry it with the same thing you're using to clean the phone.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

its not a 4G iPhone, does it say 4G in the top right corner next to att or your carrier? I hope your not surprised.

a microfiber cloth is the only thing i would clean my phone with. maybe a couple of drips of water. the screen is pretty easy to clean.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Technically it is a 4G iPhone. It is the 4th Generation of Apple's iPhone.

6. BABankert macrumors newbie

Microfiber cloth for me. If it is particularly fingerprinted or dirty, I will first spray the cloth with iKlear/Sunglass cleaner (it's formulated to be safe for polycarb/glass so it works well on LCD screens and other displays). No paper towels for this $600 phone.

7. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

I'm essentially trying to get rid of some germs. I would like to clean my phone since I have it by my face most of the time. I know water is the safest but we don't wash our hands with just water; so, I'm kinda looking for a "soap"

8. CashDude macrumors regular

I wipe it off with my shirt. If it is actually dirty and not just smudges, I might lick my finger and wipe the screen with it, then wipe it with my shirt again.

I had a 3G for 2 years and iP4 since launch day, and I've never had a scratch on the screen.

9. CashDude macrumors regular

Germs are way overrated. Unless you put your fingers in your mouth a lot (ironic how I mentioned licking my finger in the last post), I wouldn't worry about it. Just a wipe with a very slightly damp cloth should do.

10. _Matt macrumors 6502

Windex on a paper towel or Clorox disinfecting wipes.

Works like a charm and no damage. This is how I've cleaned three generations of iPhones.

EDIT: I've found Windex to work better on the glass of the iPhone 4. Makes it look brand new. If you're worried, get the eco-friendly green version of Windex because it has less chemicals and is made with plants.

11. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

I used to use rubbing alcohol pads on my 3G and nothing ever happened (or at least nothing that was evident)

12. Aadhil macrumors regular

When I had my 3G, I would use my shirt front or pant leg. I plan to also execute such therapeutic procedures with my iPhone 4 as well.

13. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Windex Anti-bacterial a few times a week. Safe for the coating and iPhone. Been using that for years on every iPhone.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'd go over it with a Clorox wipe and then rub to dry with a microfiber cloth.

Side note: how did it take so long for people to realize he meant disinfect it? LOL things like "i wipe it with my shirt" or a "paper towel" were cracking me up.

15. kels0119 macrumors member

kels0119

I was waiting for someone to post the 'i lick it' reply, haha! I have tried Windex on my old 3G but not on my new one. Glad to see it's ok to do.

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

Personally I would stick with the ethanol (rubbing alcohol). It will kill the bacteria and is generally safe around electronics since it evaporates so quickly.

I would be concerned with the effects that Windex or Clorox wipes would have over time, especially on the oleophobic coating.