Cleaning the 4G

thewizzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
My 4G screen was touching a bunch of money, and I would like to clean it.

How can I go about doing this without damaging the phone?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm not even going to ask, but microfiber works best, followed by soft cloth, then, I guess(?) paper towels. Getting the material a little damp is a good idea as well, you can dry it with the same thing you're using to clean the phone.

Comment

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
its not a 4G iPhone, does it say 4G in the top right corner next to att or your carrier? I hope your not surprised.

a microfiber cloth is the only thing i would clean my phone with. maybe a couple of drips of water. the screen is pretty easy to clean.

Comment

BABankert

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Microfiber cloth for me. If it is particularly fingerprinted or dirty, I will first spray the cloth with iKlear/Sunglass cleaner (it's formulated to be safe for polycarb/glass so it works well on LCD screens and other displays). No paper towels for this $600 phone.

Comment

thewizzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I'm essentially trying to get rid of some germs. I would like to clean my phone since I have it by my face most of the time. I know water is the safest but we don't wash our hands with just water; so, I'm kinda looking for a "soap"

Comment

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I wipe it off with my shirt. If it is actually dirty and not just smudges, I might lick my finger and wipe the screen with it, then wipe it with my shirt again.

I had a 3G for 2 years and iP4 since launch day, and I've never had a scratch on the screen.

Comment

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Germs are way overrated. Unless you put your fingers in your mouth a lot (ironic how I mentioned licking my finger in the last post), I wouldn't worry about it. Just a wipe with a very slightly damp cloth should do.

Comment

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
Windex on a paper towel or Clorox disinfecting wipes.

Works like a charm and no damage. This is how I've cleaned three generations of iPhones.

EDIT: I've found Windex to work better on the glass of the iPhone 4. Makes it look brand new. If you're worried, get the eco-friendly green version of Windex because it has less chemicals and is made with plants.

Comment

thewizzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I used to use rubbing alcohol pads on my 3G and nothing ever happened (or at least nothing that was evident)

Comment

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
When I had my 3G, I would use my shirt front or pant leg. I plan to also execute such therapeutic procedures with my iPhone 4 as well.

Comment

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Windex Anti-bacterial a few times a week. Safe for the coating and iPhone. Been using that for years on every iPhone.

Comment

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I'd go over it with a Clorox wipe and then rub to dry with a microfiber cloth.

Side note: how did it take so long for people to realize he meant disinfect it? LOL things like "i wipe it with my shirt" or a "paper towel" were cracking me up.

Comment

kels0119

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Cumming, Ga
I was waiting for someone to post the 'i lick it' reply, haha! I have tried Windex on my old 3G but not on my new one. Glad to see it's ok to do.

Comment

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Personally I would stick with the ethanol (rubbing alcohol). It will kill the bacteria and is generally safe around electronics since it evaporates so quickly.

I would be concerned with the effects that Windex or Clorox wipes would have over time, especially on the oleophobic coating.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.