Cleaning The Champagne Gold iPhone 5S Side Band/Bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nabeel Bana, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Nabeel Bana macrumors member

Hello All,

I was once told the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask. I have this one silly question to ask. My champagne gold iPhone 5S had a small smudge. I stuck my finger in my mouth and use a little spit to clean it up. Was that a proper way to handle that? That will not mess up my iPhone 5S side band/bezel correct? Please review and respond.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah that's a good way of cleaning you phone. Everyone does it at one point or another. There have been times when I just licked the whole front of my screen.

I used to believe that there was no stupid question and that everyone should ask all questions. Then this one person showed up on this site. Now I believe that that is only the case in 99.99% of people.

3. Nabeel Bana thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your response The Doctor11. I just recently bought the phone so I was not sure it that is a good idea or not. I understand. I hope you are not sarcastic and not trying to make fun of me.

That is true. It is just that I have come to believe that I am very obsessive about my belongings, and I want everything to be perfect. I asked my family members about this same question and they laughed at me jokingly. That is the reason why I joined the MacRumors Forums and asked this question. However, I really appreciate your response though The Doctor11.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No your question is fine I was not being sarcastic and I'm not making fun of you. I'm just saying not everyone can ask stupid questions. I know how you feel about perfect devices. I want my stuff to always look the same way as it came out of the box. I don't want smudges on the screen I don't want scratches anywhere. I share an iPad with my family an they will leave it with the entire thing with smudge marks. I mean the whole thing not one spot is clean. And I ask them why they don't clean it and they just don't care. My mom got a 5s and she got scratches on the apple logo. And I was kinda of upset about it she just didn't care. If that was my phone I would be devastated. I often skip ahead in YouTube videos because there will be dust on the screen and I will try and take it off.

5. Nabeel Bana thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I understand. I am exactly they way that you are. Nowadays it feels like I have to ask everyone I know, if what happened to my iPhone 5S or what I did to my iPhone 5S was okay? That's where the weird faces and looks come in. There is only so much that I can do. It just happens unintentional and it drives me crazy. I am trying to change myself. I don't even use my iPhone 5S to its fullest extent. No fingerprint scanner, no apps, no music, no photos. I just use it for call and text message purposes. I wrap it up in a dust cloth that I have whenever I am not using. In your opinion, do you think what I am doing is suitable or not?

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wait. Why don't you use the finger print scanner or have apps and thing?
    I don't have a dust cloth to wrap it in but I have a mouse pad in my room so when I take of the case I can set it down and not get any type of scratch on anything.

7. Nabeel Bana thread starter macrumors member

Because, I don't want to overuse the buttons. I just wake my phone up using the home button and then just unlock it by sliding it. I understand. That is a good way as well. It is more of the satisfaction that I have an iPhone 5S, whether if I use it to its fullest extent or not. Do you know what I am trying to convey?

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes I see. I think you need to use the most out of your phone though and take care of it that's what I do. You will probably only use the phone for 2 years and apps won't hurt it. Apple products are made to last they are very quality products. The buttons will last and Touch ID does not put anywhere and tear into the phone you don't even push down for Touch ID just place your fingure on it.

9. Nabeel Bana thread starter macrumors member

I understand. It's just that I use the phone for calling and text messages purposes only. Other than that, my phone is always in my pocket or on the side. I understand. Yes they are and that's why I care so much about them. That's the thing. My iPhone 5's sleep/wake button sunk in over time because, I used it so much. Now I use the accessibility option with the touch buttons on screen to lock my phone or turn it off. I want to make sure that the iPhone 5S that I have is in the most pristine condition that it can be. I know it sounds very strange but, that is how I look at it. What do you think?

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't think it's a bad thing I just feel your missing out on so cool games and apps.

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

12. Nabeel Bana thread starter macrumors member

I understand. There is just so much to choose from. I just keep it stocked like Apple has it on their website and box.

----------

I mean I did it just one time and it was an instant decision. In the heat of the moment, so to speak. What do you think?

13. magilla, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

magilla macrumors regular

Since the bezel is a METAL band around the periphery of the phone and is integral to the phone antennas, unless you decide to clean it with sandpaper, you're pretty much not going to do anything to it with anything you can commonly get your hands on around the house (unless you live in a chemistry lab.)

Since the cover glass is oleophobic, pretty much any mild inorganic OR organic cleaner will work on it.

The thing to remember is that, since it IS a silicate-based glass, it's really basically a semi-rigid liquid and you should avoid stuff like paper towels or paper products made from wood fiber to aid in wiping it clean. The common microfiber cleaning cloths will work just fine. Even a small amount of isopropyl alcohol won't do anything to it. Stop worrying - it's going to outlast whatever time you will eventually spend using it - IT'S ONLY A TOOL FOR GOD's SAKE TO ACHIEVE AN END PURPOSE. Yes, keep it nice looking (or not) as long as you don't go dunking it in water or dropping it on the floor or sitting on it while it's in your back pocket, it'll work just fine.

One thing to remember in this ever-increasing germophobic society - the human body has many ways of dealing with foreign bodies and, given a normal non-compromised immune system, the more "stuff" you're exposed to on a daily basis, the better off you'll be to survive the world's onslaughts. This means if your iPhone gets a little dirty - don't worry!

AND FOR GOD's SAKE EVERYONE, STOP CONTINUALLY DOUSING YOUR HANDS WITH PURELL AND ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL BASED "HAND SANITIZERS"! You're doing more future harm to your body than the sort-term benefits you might accrue. (From the spouse of a health-care professional.)

14. Nabeel Bana thread starter macrumors member

Thank you magilla for your response.